Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Publications Modern Postage Stamp Album 1940  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
3 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jkrabacher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think there are some rare stamps in here, but not sure.
Like most people I inherited this collection. I would love to continue it, but simply don't have time to put love into it.
I would rather someone who truly has a passion for stamp collecting to have these items, but I don't want to just give them away and feel like a sucker later when I find out some of the stamps were truly valuable.
If it's to good to be true, it usually is, but I have had weirder things happen.

From what I gather the first page of each country are the oldest and most likely the rarest.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3048 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will make a nice start for a fun hobby for someone. Rare stamps are just that, rare. Gift away with a smile.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jkrabacher, welcome to the party and our hobby.

Challenge: fill in the blank images in your album with the appropriate stamp.

Make it into a family keepsake for future generstions to come to enjoy.

Enjoy the hobby.

Russ Ryle
Edited by hoosierboy - 05/12/2018 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was a nice album for its time, and it a great piece of philatelic history.

With all of the past history, and With the proliferation of new issues today, an album such as this certainly looks quaint.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there, and welcome jkrabacher,

None of the stamps in your pictures are rare, so no worries about that. The Scott "Modern" album was intended as an entry-level album for beginning collectors, so it didn't include spaces for any very valuable issues.

But if you have a beginner stamp collection, why don't you try collecting for yourself, and fill more of the spaces? It's good fun and (for the common stuff) quite inexpensive, at least if you don't buy from the dealers that spend scads of money on advertising specifically to attract people that are new to the hobby and overcharge for their stamps accordingly, like Mystic. Buy from other collectors on eBay, or that you meet at local stamp clubs. Hell, I give out packets of a few thousand world stamps to new people who show up at my local stamp club -- stamp collectors like to help new people get into the hobby. If you do become interested in better material, look for stamp shows in your area. There you will find some good dealers that don't spend zillions on glossy ads.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 05/13/2018   11:33 am  Show Profile Check wkusau's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing rare. I always like to look at those albums because they sometimes have an abundance of common stamps that will fill holes in my bigger worldwide album. Good luck to you.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks ancient, but the US fact insert shows 210 million folks, or 1972.
Edited by craigk - 05/15/2018 1:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with those who suggest collecting to this album. If you have the inclination, it would be an interesting challenge to fill the album with stamps issued up to the date of publication. Moreover, it would not be too expensive to do so.
D. Buss
3 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkrabacher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those curious, the copyright date is 1940.

Some of these stamps supposedly date back to the 1800's. Are they really that common?
For example, the yellow Canadian one cent stamp was issued in 1870.

I guess my question is, what makes these not rare? is it the high quantity still in circulation, the cancellation, the cancellation mark or the quality of the stamp?

There are many, many more stamps in this book. I just uploaded pictures of the ones I thought would be the most valuable, in my amateur guesstimation.
Edited by jkrabacher - 05/16/2018 11:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As you thought, the quantities issued (supply) is the biggest reason for the relatively low values of the stamps shown. Even though some of the stamps are from the Nineteenth century, there are a lot of them still around.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3312 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   01:54 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For example, 68 million 1d blacks were printed in 1840-41.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And over a million of them are estimated to have survived.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And as Craigk stated, the album is also a later reprint, not 1940. The US facts discuss the UN HQ, in 1940 there was no UN.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the "US facts" box is clearly from a later Harris stamp album page, not a Scott Modern album page. If that's in the Scott Modern binder, it's been added.
Edited by codehappy - 05/17/2018 1:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good catch...the page layouts are much different upon a further look. Anyway, you can pick up Scott Moderns quite cheaply at shows filled with stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
774 Posts
Posted 05/18/2018   12:04 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link below is to a small estate lot that I sold on eBay last night. Maybe you can compare your stamps to the stamps shown in this item. I was a little disappointed in the results but that's what the market was willing to pay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362318039631
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05