Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

595a 15 cent Mountain Sheep with large black ink area printed under the "15"  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1115 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BlackJag to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a 1972-1977 landscape Definitive 595a, Plate 2, Type II, perforated 13.3, OP2(4mm), LF front and F back, issued February 1976.

It has a large black area which was printed on the stamp before the printing of the "15".

The lighter black ink cancellation in the left margin does not affect the black ink I'm referring to.

Has anyone seen another?

This is the same area on the normal stamp.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5769 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting BlackJag...I checked all my singles and have none to match yours..Going to pull out my blocks latter..

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
417 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be that some kind of luminating band on the left makes the cancel look lighter on the band and not under the 15? I do believe the "mountain is part of the cancel.

Kind regards,

johan.
Learn More...
5438 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   11:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO the black is on top and part of cancel. The cancel ink probably flowed away and/or absorbed differently on the printed part of the stamp; note how the cancel ink has done this here...

Anytime a used stamp is used as a potential new discovery, we need to understand that we have no idea what has happened to it during it's lifetime. It will be very difficult to make any discovery assertions with used stamps.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5769 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Don nailed it..Cancel over top of mountain.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1115 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i understand all comments and am not knowledgeable of this type of situation.

I have now taken the following photograph with my camera that does show that the "15" is definitely over the black.

The yellowish colour was created by placing a strong table lamp to light up the stamp while being photographed.

The original image was from my scanner.

Please consider the following additional two points:

The black area is not the same depth of shade as any of the cancellation on any of the image area.

Aligning the straight edge of the cancellation with the straight edge of the black area is not 90 degrees (closer to 95 degrees), which one would expect with a right-angled square or rectangular cancellation machine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Don is correct. As your close up pic shows, both the orange brown ink of the "15" and the material of the tagging band on the left margin have resisted the cancelling ink. This would easily give one the mistaken impression that these materials were printed on top of the black cancel.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/15/2018 5:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5769 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Now I have to continue looking..Sorry I doughted you BlackJag

Robert
Edited by wert - 05/15/2018 6:51 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05