Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help with Yemen postal history  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
"Who's on first?" Which stamp derived from which?

I have stamps with these inscriptions on them:

Kathiri State of Seiyun
Kathiri State in Hadhramaut
Qu'aiti State of Shihr and Mukalla
Qu'aiti State in Hadhramaut
Mutawakkilite Kingdom of Yemen
Y.A.R

I understand that some of them were part of the Aden protectorate and South Arabia protectorate and later became North and South Yemen.

All are after 1940, hence choosing modern stamps forum.
Any help or opinion will be greatly welcomed.

Rob
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1361 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you put your list together in the right order
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1420 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Always interesting not to have to go to Google

René
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With all due respect René, Google doesn't solve everything.
I tried it and got this:
At stampworld catalog, "Hadhramaut, Kathiri State in" had anything but Hadhramaut, Kathiri State in.
At stampworldhistory the chart was unclear.
At wikipedia, again, it didn't arrange things.

Perf, thanks, but I think that "Seiyun" and "Shihr and Mukalla" existed side by side, maybe under the same protectorate.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1361 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your right

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1420 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks !!! and saved.....

René
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2496 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RobRoy,

The first four names in your list relate to two sultanates in South Yemen that issued stamps first as parts first of the (British) Aden Protectorate and then as parts of the (British) South Arabian Protectorate.

The other two names relate to stamps from North Yemen.

Let's start with South Yemen.

As perf12's map shows, Kathiri and Qu'aiti were neighbours in the (Eastern) Aden Protectorate in the Hadhramaut region.

The capitals of Kathiri and Qu'aiti were respectively Seiyun and Mukalla, hence the names on the stamps.

The use of "in Hadhramaut" on the stamps rather than "Seiyun" and "Shihr and Mukalla" were essentially just changes of style.

I think the "Kathiri State in Hadhramaut" naming was only used on some of the the late unauthorised issues, probably to bring them into alignment with the style of the later "Shihr and Mukalla" stamps by the promoters of these stamps.

The Mahra sultanate also issued stamps for a short period as did, even more briefly, Upper Yafa in the Western Protectorate (which tried to declare independence).

These four sultanates had all became part of the (British) Protectorate of Southern Arabia rather than joining the British-inspired Federation of South Arabia.

The Federation and the Protectorate soon joined again as South Yemen, also called the People's Republic of Southern Yemen and then the Yemen People's Democratic Republic (with many stamps inscribed "Yemen P.D.R." or "P.D.R. Yemen"). This state lasted until 1990.

Now let's turn to North Yemen.

Here the Kingdom of Yemen issued stamps inscribed "Yemen", "Yemen Post", "Kingdom of Yemen" etc. from 1926 until 1962 when the Yemen Arab Republic (Y.A.R.) was declared.

However, this was the start of a long civil war with Royalist forces continuing to control large parts of the country for many years. It's this continuing royalist (rebel) government which issued the stamps inscribed either simply "Yemen" as before or "Mutawakilite Kingdom of Yemen".

In 1990 North Yemen (Y.A.R.) and South Yemen (Yemen P.D.R.) joined to form one country. The first issue was inscribed "Yemen Arab Republic" and the others have had "Yemen Republic".
Nigel
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation.
"Kathiri State in Hadhramaut" appeared as StampWorld's subcategory of Yemen, but I haven't seen a stamp with that inscription.
I couldn't find any info on inscription change between the Aden Prot' and the Southern Arabia Prot'.
... tried to show the tables I found, but it looks like pdf and png files are not compatible here.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1420 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks nigel !
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2496 Posts
Posted 05/15/2018   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I couldn't find any info on inscription change between the Aden Prot' and the Southern Arabia Prot'.

Hi RobRoy,

Kathiri stamps issued when part of the Aden Protectorate were inscribed "Aden" as well as "Kathiri State of Seiyun".

The later stamps when the state was part of the South Arabian Protectorate were inscribed "Kathiri State of Seiyun" and "South Arabia".

Similarly, Qu'aiti stamps issued when when part of the Aden Protectorate were were inscribed "Aden" as well as either "Qu'aiti State of Shihr and Mukalla" or "Qu'aiti State in Hadhramaut".

Qu'aiti's later stamps when part of the South Arabian Protectorate were inscribed "Qu'aiti State in Hadhramaut" and "South Arabia".

The only issued set from the Mahra Sultanate says "Mahra State" and "South Arabia".

Similarly, the issued stamps from the Upper Yafa Sultanate say "State of Upper Yafá" and "South Arabia".

The colony of Aden and the rest of the Aden Protectorate used stamps simply inscribed "Aden". These were replaced by the stamps of the South Arabian Federation which were inscribed "Federation of South Arabia".
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1020 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel, a very nice summary of a complex country, and thank you.

Perf. 12, where did you get the map? I'm in the process of writing up my Yemen collection and don't have a map with this kind of detail.
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were the tables that I wanted to share. Not my doing.

Edited by Rob Roy - 05/16/2018 05:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3367 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   06:11 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tim - this and much more can be found on Gerben's site -

http://www.stampworldhistory.com
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.stampworldhistory.com

It looks like owner has passed away and the site may not be available after a year.
Al
Valued Member
Israel
355 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that some of the Pillars and Bedrocks here will team up and help maintain his site?
It will honor his memory and his family, and won't let his life project go to waste.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1361 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by perf12 - 05/16/2018 08:08 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05