Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British postal orders  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jono_91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These were at the bottom of of a box of stamps I have
One is 1918 six shillings six pence with a date error saying 1981 should be 1918
The other is 4 shillings & sixpence with a date of 1954 but Elizabeth was queen then can anyone help me
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3312 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   08:47 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These aren't really legible without a decent scan.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jono_91 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a scanner if you have an email I could email pics if that's aloud
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3048 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1298 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1918 may be worth a little something I think although it's in poor condition.
Will have to check for watermarks.....
http://www.britishnotes.co.uk/?page...176&pageno=3
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jono_91 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah the one on that site is two shillings mines 6 shillings 6 pence
Valued Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Six and six (ie six shillings and sixpence) is 32 and a 1/2 pence in modern decimal currency. A postal order was aform for posting money through the mail if you didn't have a check book. only the person named on the order could exchange the order for cash at the post office. This meant that it was safer than sending money. I'm not sure you were permitted to send cash through the postal system.
I think that the postal stationary and stamps were sold until they sold out regardless of which monarch had their portrait on the stamp. Edward the eigth stamps in GB were not even during his short reign.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3312 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's never been anything to stop you sending cash through the post - not necessrily wise, though. Some eBay purchasers still use postal orders.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry should have said."Edward the eigth stamps in GB were not even issued during his short reign" in my last post.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
894 Posts
Posted 05/16/2018   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the record, UK King Edward VIII stamps exist and were well used:
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Valued Member
United Kingdom
34 Posts
Posted 05/17/2018   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jono_91 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't understand what they were (shows my age) rang my parents to get info it's so interesting with these though it seems like they weren't used as no one has signed for them? Do they have an value?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05