Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Difference Between These Two Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,265Next Topic  
Valued Member

20 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dano83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Could someone please tell me the difference between the two stamps pictured?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The method of printing was different. The original stamp was an intaglio printing, the later was gravure. The easiest way to see the difference is to get the plate number coils.
Scott 2457: Intaglio - grey lettering
Scott 2458: Gravure - black lettering

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/31/2018 9:35 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

? Is not Gravure and Intaglio, one of the same process?
Valued Member
20 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dano83 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I have this magazine and it shows one with a cream color background is it one of these?
Edited by Dano83 - 05/31/2018 10:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The challenge comes to many collectors when trying to ID a single example with no comparators handy. At least these two can be compared!
(I find the Scott description of gray vs black wording to be useless.)

2457 - engraved, fine shading lines on the cab/trailer. Dull surface to the paper. Ink raised on paper.

2458 - photogravure, thicker shading lines on the cab/trailer. Slick surface to the paper - shiny when viewed in oblique light. Ink very flat on paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, all I know is that the intaglio stamp was printed by the BEP using one plate for both colors. The gravure stamp, also by the BEP was printed on the Andreotti press, using two plates, one for each color. Hence the plate number for the intaglio stamp is a "1", the plate number for the gravure stamp is "11" in two colors.

Pete
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3761 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have this magazine and it shows one with a cream color background is it one of these?

The one with a cream colored background is 2457, while a whiter background is 2458. Here are mine, scanned side-by-side. Note that the PNC 1 on cream colored is the color of the truck, not the overprint. Also notice the difference in print quality.

Note: I have no idea what is going on with the perfs shown on the back of my 2457.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 05/31/2018   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Pete,
I thought you may have made a typo, between Gravure, and Photo (gravure)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 06/01/2018   12:07 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
part - the perf holes did not get completely punched out and were left as hanging chads
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 06/01/2018   12:10 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
? Is not Gravure and Intaglio, one of the same process?

Nope
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 06/01/2018   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
part - the perf holes did not get completely punched out and were left as hanging chads

Nicely solved.
To me, they looked like dents in the paper.

Edited by rod222 - 06/01/2018 01:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 06/01/2018   01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This suggests a possible solution to the hanging chad problem experienced in the Florida election almost 20 years ago. Use ballots with removable self-adhesive die-cut "holes". Remove the "hole" next to your candidate's name instead of trying to punch thru the hole. Of course, this doesn't fix the problem of "voter ignorance". Some are certain to try punching thru the holes anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3761 Posts
Posted 06/01/2018   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Due to the difference in the un-punched hole sizes versus the actual perforation, I had thought these were a perfin that didn't quite make it through. A keeper, anyways.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05