Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Remove Used Self Adhesive US Stamps From Paper Or Not??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,144Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
10 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampsInNJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well I have a bunch of US stamps that are on paper and I have a decision to make. I want to mount them in my album and need to figure out do I go through the time of removing them off the paper or just trim close to the stamp and call it a day.

I have removed them off paper a few times with the citrus spray and powder. It's a pain and seems like a lot of work for the amount of stamps I have to do. On the other hand I want to have a nice album and do it right the first time.

So what do others do out there?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
368 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   08:10 am  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For my own stamps, that I want to display in my album, to me it's worth going through them one at a time to remove them from their backing paper with the orange citrus spray, and scraping the gum residue off with a credit card or other straight edge. They simply look so much better that way, in my opinion.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
1 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spike57 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am new to collecting and just trim and mount. I would be interested in others answers to this
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cutieonli610 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question I'm curious about that also ~ Maria
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Article on how to remove self-adhesive stamps:

http://stamps.org/userfiles/file/Ho...dhesives.pdf
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cutieonli610 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ! Everyone is so very helpful ~ Maria
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott says that used examples of self-adhesive stamps can either be off or on piece (i.e., removed from paper or not).

"Values for used self-adhesive stamps are for examples either on piece or off piece."

(This is from "Understanding the Listings" -- item 9: "Value unused and Value used". Page 14A in the 2017 volumes.)

-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 06/02/2018   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And this is slightly off topic from the original poster's question, but Scott also says for unused self-adhesive stamps that they are valued as if the stamps have not been removed from their original backing paper.

"Unused self-adhesive stamps are valued as appearing undisturbed on their original backing paper." (Same citation as above.)
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 06/03/2018   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A related question. If the value for used self-adhesive stamps is the same whether removed from cover or not, would that remain true if it was kept on cover, trimmed, and then mounted with a hinge? And then what about unused stamps that have not been removed from their adhesive backing? Would use of a hinge reduce its value in that case? It seems to me that it shouldn't, since the hinge is not affecting the stamp itself. But a purist might say that it could not be described as "MNH."

Any thoughts about this?

Basil
Edited by blcjr - 06/03/2018 07:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 06/03/2018   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the used USA stamps I put in my album I remove them from the paper by either water soak or using lighter fluid. In addition to looking better - I can see the perfs/die cuts much better when they are removed from paper - they are not as thick so will not make the album as bulky. For the used USA dupes I keep on hand for trading, I usually leave on paper.

Dave N.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6519 Posts
Posted 06/03/2018   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every stamp that is good enough to be put in a collection has the self-adhesive material completely removed with lighter fluid.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 06/03/2018   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampsInNJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will take them off paper. I use the citrus air freshener. I'm going to take the paper off them so I can use my stockbook for my dups.

I tried removing 32 cent stamps from paper and some wouldn't come off. What denomination of US stamps goes from soaking them off on paper to taking them off with citrus spray?

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
Posted 06/03/2018   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US first use of self adhesive stamps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-adhesive_stamp
Edited by oldguy - 06/03/2018 11:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 06/03/2018   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is really a matter of preference. As far as I'm concerned, the stamp should be removed from the paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 06/04/2018   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StampsInNJ,

The use of self adhesives that are not water soluble did no happen to all USA stamps at the same time so there is not one particular stamp that was the last water soluble and then from then on you have to use lighter fluid/citrus. Of course all the lick and stick can be soaked off. There are some self adhesive USA stamps that can be soaked off too. There have been atempts to make lists of "soakability" of USA self adhesive stamps. I think the Virtual Stamp Club indicates the stamps's soakability or at least they used to. And I think I saw somewhere that the 2014 Scott USA specialized catalog started showing soakability, but I'm not sure about that. There are other sites out there that try to list soakability...

Dave
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,144Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05