Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Trivia Question For The Plate Block Experts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,213Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
46 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stagedew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My recent education (by responses to my previous posts) on plate block numbers has lead me to another curiosity that I have noticed with plate block numbers.
Now that I am aware that there is an "invisible ... to me" (yellow) plate block number on some multi-color sheets, I have noticed that the two numbers (e.g. 27276 and 27275) are both right side up on some sheets/blocks, but one of the numbers (27276) is right side up, while the other number (27275) is up side down on the same sheet/block. (see attached images).

Anybody have an explanation?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I can tell you that the 1st two blocks you posted are the error varieties - the color yellow is inverted. So it would follow logically that the plate number - printed in yellow - was also inverted.

The normal block is the 3rd one you've posted, where everything is correct...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stagedew to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

I didn't know that I had both types, since I could barely see the yellow, I never noticed they weren't the same, since I could only see the first (non-yellow) plate block number.

In the coin world they would call these varieties ??? HA!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice error!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4500 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dag H error. Bummer for the original finder(s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_H...%B6ld_invert
Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it is best to keep a current stamp discovery a secret for a while before announcing it for several reasons. 1) To avoid confiscation of the item by the post office or others. 2) To prevent the error from being purposely reproduced to make it common. 3) To allow the finder to find more of the item themselves. 4) To give it some sort of mystery and elusiveness. 5) To avoid it becoming more common as many more go out looking for it and finding more copies around.

After reading the link provided previously on this invert and finding out that it was printed in three different colors by the Giori press, I couldn't help but notice that this same press was used for printing the St. Lawrence Seaway stamp by the U.S. However, only the Canadian Seaway stamp was found inverted because it was printed using two separate printing plates. The finding of an inverted U.S. stamp was dismissed because it was done on a Giori press that only used one plate with different parts being inked separately for the different colors. This now begs the question about the inverted yellow color on this different U.S. stamp.
Edited by jogil - 06/09/2018 10:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5109 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This now begs the question about the inverted yellow color on this different U.S. stamp.

This Linn's Stamp News October 2012 article explains
why 2 plates were used even though the BEP Giori press
at that time was capable of printing 3 colours (inks)
using only one plate.

Pillar Of The Community
3585 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting positions are the upper right and lower right ones since you can see the actual outline for the upside down number four.

It is too bad that the finder of the original inverted stamps announced his discovery early to the public which resulted in the post office purposely mass printing the error.
Edited by jogil - 06/10/2018 07:44 am
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stagedew to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ jogil:

This seems to be getting more interesting with every post.
With your latest pic addition, there are now three "varieties" posted here of the DAG stamp. (Must have been one heck of a party!)

It is now beyond my understanding of this phenomena as to how both of the plate block numbers were printed on the top right side of the sheet, instead of the top left corner. And also, the yellow number was printed up-side down!

Just rhetorical and interesting point!

Three "varieties" illustrated:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited, see next post

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 06/10/2018 1:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This whole phenomenon has been covered here before. Go to www.goscf.com/t/4938 for pictures of the three possible varieties

Peter
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stagedew to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great! Thanks Peter.
Good LINK.
That should rap it up for me.
I hope.
Now the only thing left for me to do is find some matching picture frames.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4500 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The anti-glare UV resistant glass is also important or whatever material you choose, acrylic etc.
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 06/11/2018   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stagedew to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't fully understand what was going on with the Hammarskjold misprints until I realized that the sheets of stamps were printed in printings of four sheets to a printing. Thus the block numbers are on all four corners of a 200 stamp sheet..
Now I got it! and I made up a sample of what is going on, for my records. Thought I would share it with any new comers, etc.

Edited by stagedew - 06/11/2018 10:07 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05