Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Machin ID Please

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
141 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add tgswanner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I HAVE to be overlooking this one so I would appreciate someone setting me straight! I have an MH223 (35p, orange yellow, lithographed, syncopated perf). However, I also have a stamp with the same characteristics except it appears to be the redrawn portrait (at least the upper corners of the crown formee' looks redrawn)...although, Scott doesn't show a 35P with the redrawn portrait. What am I missing?!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1055 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may find help on Machin website.
https://adminware.ca/machin.htm
Regards.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 06/08/2018   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, vayolene. That was actually the first place I looked. Lots of info on that site but didn't tell me what I needed to know.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Scott lists a Redrawn portrait, 35p Brown and Olive Green (Scott MH 351 and 352 respectively). Could it be one of these?
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey parttime...it's definitely not brown or olive green. You see the same thing I do! Its definitely the orange yellow color. I know this is going to be something easy I am overlooking but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28870 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! you have come to the right place............

I have been doing my Machins. What you see is the perfect ID for the "Redrawn Machin"
It is the simplest way to ID

The Original look at the Maltese Cross in the Crown, If the tips have a gap,
they are the ORIGINAL, If the tips almost meet, they are the REDRAWN.

Edited by rod222 - 06/09/2018 06:24 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28870 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime is correct, it is the "Olive Green"

The perf guage is 14.75 x 14.......... on the original it is guage 15 x 14

Edited by rod222 - 06/09/2018 06:39 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28870 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just practising my Machins............

Your one on the left, Litho, should have 2 bands? correct?
What about the Right hand stamp, any bands?

Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tgswanner to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to thank all of you for your help. Every time I come here I always find people willing to share some knowledge with us ignorant folk.
Olive Green? The first Machin series that had the regular perfs, saw 2 different 35p stamps issued - MH153 dark brown and MH154 orange yellow. No olive green. The 2 stamps I have in question match the orange yellow with the regular perfs. The pic of MH153 and 154 are below for reference.

Rod, you asked about banding - both are double bands - one left and one right.
Valued Member
410 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dynamode to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my 2011 SG Concise it lists 2x 35p yellow 2 band with Elliptical perforations.

SG Y1692. Photo Enchede from sheets. Issued 17th August 1993.

SG Y1755. Litho Walsall or Questa from 1.40 booklets (Walsall-GK5/7), 6 National trust booklet (Questa-DX17). Issued 1st November 1993.

The only other 35p with 2 bands listed is sepia SG Y1694.

No mention of redrawn crowns for these stamps. Hope this helps
Edited by dynamode - 06/09/2018 3:34 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
237 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the start of the Decimal machin definitive section of the SG concise catalogue there is an explanation of how to spot the difference between a Lithographed stamp and a stamp printed in Photogravure. Under magnification the lithographed stamp has a more clear crisply printed value.
I spent an increasingly unenjoyable 10 evenings trying to identify my big accumulation of decimal machins. The 2013 catalogue listed 597 different Machins.

Therein lies madness.
Valued Member
410 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dynamode to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am quite often wrong. But I am guessing one stamp is litho, and one photo.

I have a binbag full of machins that I have barely looked at. I just cannot get excited about them.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4702 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   5:18 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here. I think they were invented to make Americans feel good about Washington-Franklins.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28870 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to thank all of you for your help. Every time I come here I always find people willing to share some knowledge with us ignorant folk.

No, no, thank you for posing the question.
I find it fascinating to try and solve the enigmas......
Machins were not meant to be easy.

OK.
So here are our contenders, forget Scott and his colours. we may have a problem there.

Stanley Gibbons. 35p contenders. (ALL eliptical [syncopated] perforations)

35p photo enschede YELLOW 2 bands Y1692 sheets
35p photo harrison YELLOW phophor paper Y1693 vertical coils
35p litho. Walsall or Questa YELLOW 2 bands Y1755 booklets walsall..nat trust booklet questa
35p photo de la rue SEPIA 2 bands Y1694 sheets
35p photo enschede or de la rue YELLOW OLIVE 1 centre band Y1695 sheets , brunel booklet DX36

No mention of green

So, If you have correctly identified the first stamp as litho.
it must be Y1755 35p. yellow 2 bands 1st November 1993

By elimination, your second stamp (right hand side) must be Y1694 35p SEPIA 2 bands 1st April 2004 (REDRAWN)
or.........Scott MH352 suggested as "Olive Green"...prove it by guaging the top perf at 14.75........

I hope that solves that.

Edited by rod222 - 06/09/2018 5:39 pm
Valued Member
410 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dynamode to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless the other stamp is photo, making it SG Y1692 Issued 17th August 1993.

Sepia, according to my Gibbons colour key, is unmistakeably brown. So cannot be Y1694.

Haha these really are a pain.
Edited by dynamode - 06/09/2018 5:42 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28870 Posts
Posted 06/09/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the Perf 15x14 Page (Basic Machin)

Steiner Page 19.

..and where your second stamp abides (X) Olive Green

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05