Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Listing Minor Varieties In Catalogues

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
564 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"minor typo...Connell was a New Brunswick stamp, not newfoundland."

I stand corrected. Good to know I am not the only one to have this view on what should be considered a legitimate stamp variety.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by 3Dadeo - 12/13/2019 4:27 pm
Learn More...
7575 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good to know I am not the only one to have this view on what should be considered a legitimate stamp variety.

???? I said this days earlier in this thread back in June...

Quote:
The generally accepted definition of a true error stamp ate those which have been distributed to the Post Offices for sale to the public. The store owner did the right thing, if we support a market for material that goes out the back door of a printer then we are doing a disservice to the hobby. If the 'printers waste' market is supported, then it become even more likely that workers will intentionally make 'errors' for profit. Not good.

My opinion is that many collectors do not support the addition of numerous 'varieties' for several reasons including;
- inclusion inconsistency and/or lack of published inclusion criteria by the catalog publishers
- increased costs of catalogs and printed albums

And of course the reason I stated back in June, supporting trash being slipped out the back door during the production process.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
564 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, not trying to steal your thunder.

I was actually referring to you and others that also believe this about "backdoor" varieties when I said I was glad I was not the only one.

As I mentioned in my original post, my biggest disappointment is seeing this material regularly offered and sold in well-known auctions.

There must be a number of people with money buying this stuff, so I worry about how many people actually agree with the view that the material is not legitimate.
Pillar Of The Community
6690 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There must be a number of people with money buying this stuff, so I worry about how many people actually agree with the view that the material is not legitimate

3Dadeo..I agree with you..I will give you an example of some honest dealers believe..

A few years ago I was in a stamp dealers store talking to him..A guy came in with a brief case and stood at the other end of the counter..I was going to be a while, so I said go ahead and wait on him, I have lots of time..He went down to talk to him, he opened the brief case and the dealer yelled..""Get the hell out of my store""..He closed the case and ran out of the store..I asked him what the problem was, and he said he had a brief case full of back door stamps from the mint..WOW

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
564 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, that's a great story - thanks for sharing.

Sadly, he would have found some other dealer I'm sure.

Still, if all dealers (and auction houses) did that, the "backdoors" would end pretty quickly.
Learn More...
7575 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a silly way to unload 'back door' printer waste material. An intelligent unethical person would stick a single 'error' stamp into a accumulation of low value stamps and list them all on eBay without mentioning the 'error' stamp. Many collectors would spot the 'error' and be willing to bid significant amounts of money on the listing. They would then go into a stamp forum convinced that they would be able to quit their jobs and retire.

Greed is a component of human nature that can always be counted upon. Patience is not as common so luckily most people will try to unload all the printers scrap at one time.

Our hobby has a number of urban legends and one of them is that an error stamp can make you wealthy. Most non-collectors, when asked about stamp collecting, immediately relate a version of the Inverted Jenny error stamp. This is why I am always leery of EFOs and avoid collecting them. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have purchased a few US coil EFOs because they contained plate numbers and I do have 1-2 true US errors like #505.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1274 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Wert. I read this thread with interest, and my answer to the back door - printer's waste is to focus my area on well known true printers errors, on engraved stamps, as covered by Ralph's re-entries site. I have been seeking genuine ones such as the mountie broken leg and bird cage, large queen needle nose, shilling mark on 13c Brittania, the burr over shoulder on 17c Cartier etc, as I do consider these true and genuine errors. I try to stay away from modern oddities (like missing of faded colors). By exception, I will seek a few re-call material like the Hoo-doo booklet which was an official issue for a couple days before being recalled.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28124 Posts
Posted 12/14/2019   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Our hobby has a number of urban legends and one of them is that an error stamp can make you wealthy.

Indeed,
Look at this advert, agreed it may be a genuine error, but look at the price,
look at the emotive language......

OOPS!
Australia Post GOOFS again!
Major error!
We are fortunate...blah blah

Just garbage in my view.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05