Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What In The World Is This US Stamp On This Postmarked Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,136Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thepackrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is another odd item I found in a recent lot I purchased. What is this stamp? The envelope is postmarked but there is no addressee on it. Can anyone explain what this could be?
Thanks,
Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1707 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Test Stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the "stamp" is a test stamp. What it is doing on the cover I have no idea,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a test cover.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK Thanks everyone. I will see if my Scott Specialized catalog has it listed. I was wondering what the value might be....if any.
Thanks again,
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3971 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typical of a sample that one would find at a postal convention. Unaddressed, never went through the mail. Slogan that implies it went through an advanced demo piece of equipment. I have seen "specimen" meter impressions from such postal equipment shows. Very nice item.

Add: Moe Luff's "United States Postal Slogan Catalog", (revised ed, 1975) notes this cancel was demonstrated at ASDA Show, November 20-22, 1959 and gives rating of "rare".
Edited by John Becker - 06/10/2018 8:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, look for the "TD" prefix in the Scott catalog. This purple one is a test coil, but I do not have the number.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. Got it. It looks like # TD96? Red Violet........which naturally is the lowest valued of them at $2.00. Sure wish it was Carmine.
Thanks again everyone.
Robert
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/10/2018   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since John Becker mentioned Mr Luff:

Re United States Postal Slogan Cancels, by Moe Luff (1950)

You can grind your way through a scanned copy at:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt...w=1up;seq=3.

You can (join and) borrow one from the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library at:

http://www.rmpldenver.org/catalog/r...-search.html

You can order an inexpensive Print-on-Demand reprint from a vendor at Abebooks ... PM me for the link.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 06/11/2018   01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pitney-Bowes and other postal machine machine manufactures use "Test Stamps" to set-up and calibrate the "throw-arm" or "trigger" mechanisms" of postal cancellation machines at post offices around the country.

They are also used used in the set-up, test, installation, calibration and demonstration of "LIVE-STAMP" application by machines used by direct mail letter shops where live stamp application is requested by a advertiser or ad agency. They are used at trade shows to demonstrate the latest equiptment.

The "test stamp" usages are suppose to be destroyed by the the technician but many times do not.
Edited by Hal - 06/11/2018 01:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 06/11/2018   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Test Stamps - Part 2

Here are some examples to demonstrate "Test Stamps" used by direct mail lettershops to test and demonstrate their equipment. These were acquired many years ago at a Trade Show.

I grabbed a slew of direct mail samples and several "Test roll" ends left on a trade show table at the show booth, while talking to a salesperson. Again, the salesperson told me the stamps weren't suppose to be released, but I promised they were going in my collection -- and I was already their customer. If I wasn't a customer, I would have never gotten the loose stamps.

While here are some examples used by postal clerks in the late-1970's/early-1980's to test a hand-held stamp application device devised by Pitney-Bowes for use by U.S. Postal Service window clerks. The "test" was held for a three day period in Central Pennsylvania and elsewhere across the US. I was able to "rescue" ten PS Form 13s from my friendly USPS window clerk that I purchased my plate blocks from on day one of the test. When I returned on test day two, I was advised he couldn't give any more slips to me --"...it was prohibited and he shouldn't given me the ones he did. He got in trouble giving some to another person! "

Sometimes, you just get lucky.
Hal
Edited by Hal - 06/11/2018 02:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 06/11/2018   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great informative post Hal!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2764 Posts
Posted 06/11/2018   10:20 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Modern - Thank you for showing these
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,136Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05