Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Colonies - Palestine Mandate Pictorial Set Of 1927

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,706Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KGVIStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

From 1922 until 1948, the country we know as Isreal was governed by Great Britain and was known as the Palestine Mandate.

Initially Egyptian Expeditionary Forces stamps were overprinted for use; but in 1927, the only set of stamps for this area was issued. Four designs were used for the set.

Identifying the 1927 Pictorial issues (Scott 63-84, or Gibbons 90-111) is a matter of differentiating between four different paper types, and sorting the colors and some perforation varieties for a few issues. All of the stamps were issued on paper watermarked Multiple Script CA, so you don't have to identify the watermarks to sort these stamps.

The primary factor that makes identifying the Pictorial set so interesting is the four paper types that were used in printing the stamps. They are very distinctive and can be easily identified and sorted. They are listed below:

1. Thin paper - used for the initial 1927 printings.
2. Thick paper with Vertical Ribbing - used for printings beginning in 1928 thru 1932.
3. Thick paper with Horizontal Ribbing - used for 1937 printings.
4. Wove, white paper - used for printings beginning in 1936 until the end of the Mandate.

The paper types are not listed by Scott, and are barely covered by Gibbons; so if you want to specialize in this set you will need the catalogue published by Michael Bale.

My reference collection is shown with scans including blow-ups of the paper types and examples of the various shades. I am still missing a few, so please feel free to contact me if you have any of my missing items. Use this link to view the site.

http://www.kgvistamps.com/articles/...te-1927.html

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3496 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Balfour Declaration was a major event in Palestine (and the world) and started what we have now.

Were there stamps specifically about the Balfour Declaration?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Edited by angore - 06/15/2018 7:00 pm
Valued Member
Canada
318 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KGVIStamps, your page is an excellent resource for these stamps - now bookmarked.

Another very good catalogue for Mandate stamps is:
"The Stamps & Postal Stationary of Palestine Mandate 1918 - 1948"
"2004 Specialized Catalog" by David Dorfman

They pop-up on eBay periodically and are not too dear.
He goes into a lot of detail especially for the earlier issues.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Edited by clivel - 06/15/2018 4:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6677 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   4:57 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1922 mandate area and Israel aren't the same thing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3496 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It established a justification that lead to a series of events that became Israel.
Al
Valued Member
Canada
318 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   6:14 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were their stamps specifically about the Balfour Declaration?

As far as I am aware, the stamps had no political significance nor any connection to the Balfour Declaration.
It was simple a case of Britain taking control from the Ottoman Empire and needing a postal service.
Captured by the British Egyptian Expeditionary Force, stamps were first issued in 1918 under the name E.E.F

Later to be overprinted Palestine in Arabic, English and Hebrew, and finally in 1927 the pictorial set as shown by KGVIStamps.
Clive

Edited by clivel - 06/15/2018 6:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who are interested in how this became a British Mandate, here is a link to the Wikipedia site regarding this territory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_Palestine

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2131 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clivel is correct.

The stamps issued under the British military and later civil administration of Palestine are as a result of the Sykes-Picot agreement of 1916, not the Balfour declaration of the following year.

The British mandate terminated on 14 May 1948, ie: the same day as Israel's declaration of independence.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3496 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My question was if there were any stamps issued that noted the Balfour Declaration beyond normal postage of the region or elsewhere.
Al
Valued Member
Canada
318 Posts
Posted 06/15/2018   7:51 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were no Palestine Mandate commemoratives, only definitives, postage dues and revenues.
First the lithographed EFF stamps in shades of blue. Followed by typographed EFF stamps of a similar design in various colours and denominations. These were later overprinted as mentioned above. These were followed by the pictorials in 1927 which lasted until the end of the Mandate.
So no Mandate stamps marked the Balfour Declaration.

As far as I am aware Israel is the only country to have released stamps commemorating the Balfour Declaration which it did so on the 50th and 100th anniversary of the Declaration.
Clive

Edited by clivel - 06/15/2018 7:52 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36234 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thread Bumped. Dormant 4 years

Academia

Impressions of a philatelic trip
by Thomas Schubert, Ahrensfelde, Germany

For more than 20 years, I have been collecting philatelic material related to the multifarious postal history of Palestine, beginning in the 19th century. Inspired by the hopeful developments of the Oslo-Process in the mid of the 90ies of the 20th century and by the first articles about the birth of a postal service of the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) published in philatelic journals1,

I started to collect not only newly issued stamps or First Day covers of the
PNA but also covers with postmarks and registration labels of various post offices in the West Bank and the Gaza strip. Later I concentrated my philatelic activities completely on this new and very dynamic aspect of the postal history of Palestine. I got in contact with a handful of other philatelists, both in Germany and in Israel, interested in this very special subject.
Studying more than one and a half thousands envelopes and forms, Tobias Zywietz and me developed a classification of the various types of postmarks used by the Palestinian post since 1994.

. Despite a number of obstructions, a more or less regular correspondence with the philatelic offices of the PNA in Gaza and later in Al-Bireh has grown over the years. I received valuable information from employees of these offices as
well as from their colleagues in other post offices of the PNA. However, I never had the opportunity to visit Israel or the Palestinian territories during all these years.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6677 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   02:36 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't Thomas post elsewhere on here from time to time, Rod?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36234 Posts
Posted 08/10/2022   04:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't aware of that Geoff,
it would be a Wow if he did.

I am familiar with Tobias Zywietz with my Turkish collection,
a very wise individual.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,706Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05