Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 1857 3c Washington - S.c. #26 Or #26A?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,253Next Topic  
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 06/20/2018   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add souldjer777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Morning,

I have a U.S. 1857 3c Washington that I'm trying to identify as either a S.C. #26 or #26A... As you can see there are lines on both sides of the stamp but they are completely different.

Left side - Line stops

Right side - Line keeps going

NOTES:

#26 "No outer frame lines at the top or bottom. The side frame lines extend beyond the top and bottom of the design."
https://www.theswedishtiger.com/26-scotts.html

#26A "Frame lines do not extend beyond the design."
https://www.theswedishtiger.com/26A-scotts.html

Thanks for looking and helping!
Send note to Staff
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2368 Posts
Posted 06/20/2018   07:57 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quickly, it is a Type IV, Scott #26A.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 06/20/2018   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again sinclair2010!!! You rock!
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 06/20/2018   6:26 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought if even one vertical line extends beyond the design it is a 26? How is this a 26a?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 06/20/2018   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the right side line breaks at the top and is not continuous. At any rate, you can also tell it's type IV 26A because the frame lines wander. Here is an example of what I mean.

The other way to know it's a 26A is because sinclair2010 identified it as such
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2206 Posts
Posted 06/20/2018   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am often intrigued by particular words and their context. Chase coined a name for what stampcrow just did in his last post. In order to see the crooked lines on a 26A you hold the stamp at an angle and sight down the lines just as stampcrow did - correctly.

For the record, Chase calls this act: "foreshortening".

I hereby dub that - word of the day.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Foreshortening was shown to me by ClassicCoins on this site!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2368 Posts
Posted 06/21/2018   8:51 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought if even one vertical line extends beyond the design it is a 26? How is this a 26a?

Regrading the Type IV, the Scott catalogue states: "As type III, but the side frame lines extend only to the top and bottom of the stamp design".

That is a very general description of the Type IV and is contradicted by the very image of a block of Type IV stamps shown above the description. The image clearly shows that the frame lines do sometimes extend beyond the design. In fact, probably a majority of the stamps exhibit at least one longish frame line. For many stamps, the catalogue is only good enough to get you started.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 06/22/2018   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your help - very informative I'm sure for future stamp searches.

Quote:
For many stamps, the catalogue is only good enough to get you started.

I completely agree!

Good to see the "frame lines wander" approach. That means I should scan the image and collapse the image vertically in my photo editing software probably to tell the difference.

Very interesting.
Edited by souldjer777 - 06/22/2018 09:07 am
United States
1 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampCelt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Greetings. Further to this subject this stamp which I recently purchased is on a piece and appears most likely Scott 26 top row. I have two questions. First there appears to be no left line, or perhaps a very partial double line near to the top left; is that unusual? Also if we look at the rosettes, they are very blurred and appear to almost have a top layer of ink which blurs the pattern. I don't see that the bullet in the middle of the rosette is misformed like on a double transfer. Perhaps it is just an ink blur. Maybe someone can comment if the look of these rosettes is also unusual. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For many stamps, the catalogue is only good enough to get you started.

This simple concept has been the hardest part for me to understand in dealing with these old issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
799 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the process of foreshortening necessary to determine or confirm whether the frame lines wander? Looking at the stamp on this cover I can not detect any type of deviation in the frame lines.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05