Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply Jaxom. Though 85R12 is similar in many respects I see too many inconsistencies to write off to inking differences. The top of 95R12, as it is shown by Neinken appears different too. Your example of 85R12 has part of the top of the lower stamp too and the spacing between stamps seems off between yours and mine.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
883 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will look more on it. That 85R was just something I spotted first time looking over the Neinken drawings. Something of interest to me was the "white-out" at the upper right. Those seem more rare than the blurs. I have not spent enough time on this one yet. It also has two dots at head that look blue, not black.

Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mark on the left leg of the N of ONE on mine is blue. Not many other Mark's to zero in on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
883 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper, can you send me a 2400 dpi scan of that stamp?

I am still checking plate positions for it. The best choice so far is 50L12. There is a matching line in orn G. The mark Neinken shows on shoulder appears as a "white-out" spot. I would like a closer look at your stamp in that spot. The marks in "O" of "ONE" are unable to identify on the blurred image.
Edited by jaxom100 - 04/22/2019 09:03 am
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will do Jaxom, but will not happen this week. Been all over since my last post...Singapore, Hanoi, Siem Reap, and Maryland.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
50L12 would be a centerline position, and the plate 12 centerline isn't known perforated. Something to keep in mind.
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, I'm so sorry about the delay in responding to you. I really do appreciate your help. I've just been unimaginably busy of late and this slipped my mind.
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, take a look at 76L12. I am including a Seigel image of a 76L12 (the only one I could find) along with mine with a few things highlighted for comparison on the Seigel image. Note side ornament K's shape. The similarity of the ink spots under the letters C & T of CENT. The blur of color along the upper right. The shape of the under part of ornament W (upper right) and the locations and sizes of the horizontal lines on the right scroll. What do you think?

From Seigel:

Mine:

What is visible on Neinken's 86L12 and the piece attached to mine are not inconsistent.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
883 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper, please send me the scan on this stamp. I cannot make out the detail needed on a low res image. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, the email address available through the forum does not allow the attachment of files or insertion of photos as far as I can tell.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05