Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seen This News? "Statue Of Liberty Stamp Mistake To Cost Postal Service $3.5 Million"

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 3,308Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am surprised that many folks in this thread seem to have little regard to intellectual property.

I do think uses of IP should be fairly compensated. However, $3.5 mil is lot of money for bumbling mistakes by USPS since the sculptor probably got compensated for the work already. What a windfall.

Quote:
So the judge did a sauce-for-the-goose-is-sauce-for-the-gander number. The USPS was estimated (mostly their own numbers, plus some outside testimony) to have sold U$D 70m worth of Lady Liberty stamps that would never be used (pure profit). The USPS charges a running royalty of 8% or 10% to use their stamps. The judge gave the USPS a break, and applied a royalty of only 5%. And Bob's your uncle.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3197 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would challenge the statement "little regard" as more as differing views on the value of intellectual property. The judge made a decision but does not mean another judge would rule the similar results (mainly value owed).
Al
Learn More...
9896 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   4:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Saying the award should have been a "nominal halfpenny in damages" seems like 'little regard' to me.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2022 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   4:33 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Our local CBS affiliate had a story on this during the local evening news. A couple weeks earlier they showed the Summer Treat stamps and told viewers they were scented. I really think someone on their news staff is a collector. Great publicity.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The court opinion also cites USPS sales figures for Lady Liberty stamp 'philatelic products'.

We can guess that includes first day souvenirs ... my guess is that it includes all sales of Lady Liberty stamps thru the philatelic sales office.

The amount cited was U$D 29k and change.

Q/ Is that a lot, or a little?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2673 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the NY Times article....

Quote:
$2.1 billion from the sale of 4.9 billion stamps.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 3,308Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05