Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Genuine Rppc's That I've Aquired....continued

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
56 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampavalanche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampavalanche to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6375 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For our foreign friends - what is an RPPC?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of things to like about the G K Engles Restaurant real photo post card, starting with the tin ceiling!
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Real Photo Post Card (RPPC)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2861 Posts
Posted 07/06/2018   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great photo...with the ductwork, wiring, and pastry cases. You can almost imagine yourself sitting there with your feet on the tile floor.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Q/ What is that object traversing the ceiling? The second floor's sewer pipe?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2861 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey, I am hoping that it is exposed ductwork rather than sewer pipe above the tables.

Today, the exposed ducting is quite stylish for urban lofts. Back in those days, it was probably just the cheapest way to do the job.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ductwork? For their A/C? You sure that these guys were not still loading ice into their ice box?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who suspects that chimney pipes that ran level did not run for long)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2861 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are probably correct. The color and "look" is not correct for heat, and on closer inspection, I don't see any vents. So, maybe I wouldn't be having my cake and coffee there after all.

The health department closed down a location of nationally franchised restaurant chain here about 20-25 yeears ago for just such a violation.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/07/2018 5:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it was coal gas being pumped through the pipe?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct color and size for sewer pipe (or vent), but a run that long should angle down quite a bit (but did they follow or even have a code?). Hard to tell from that perspective. Possible it's from boiler to radiator(s), but that's usually several runs. Big for gas, but maybe not back then. I found much smaller gas pipes in our ceiling used for natural gas lighting.I

Love that tin ceiling, we put one in our kitchen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gas sounds about right.

Water (potable or 'used') would be too heavy to travel that distance without support.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2647 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   11:11 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking maybe steam. I asked my wife who has an architectural historian background, but she really couldn't tell what the pipe was made of. She did suggest exhaust from a cooking area. Does anyone know where this restaurant was located?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 07/07/2018   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Zooming in too get a closer look only raises more questions. For example, what is the waiter holding??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 07/08/2018   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She did suggest exhaust from a cooking area.

Will, please tell the wife that I said that soot'n'grease would gather in no time, with potentially catastrophic results, and report back what she thinks.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who is neither architect or historian)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05