Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has The Non-Water Soluble Era Changed Your Approach For Collecting Used?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,031Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has the non-water soluble era changed your approach for collecting used?

No, but it has changed the way I remove the stamp from the envelope.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And note also that Scott says the value is no different for used self-adhesives whether on piece or off.

Here's their full statement about self-adhesives, both unused and used:

Quote:
Unused self-adhesive stamps are valued as appearing undisturbed on their original backing paper. Values for used self-adhesive stamps are for examples either on piece or off piece.

Source:

"Understanding the Listings: #9 - Value unused and Value used" (Introduction, Page 14A, 2017 edition)
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 07/09/2018   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since Scott does not differentiate between on or off paper for the self-adhesive values, I have no problem mounting them in my Harris Liberty album that use for my used US collection. Moreover, I have no problem mounting them with Scotch 811 Removable Tape!
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florida to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer on paper for both water- and self-adhesive. But I'm also in the gotta-have-it-all camp so I save the modern junk as well ha ha ha.
Valued Member
368 Posts
Posted 07/27/2018   2:32 pm  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It hasn't really changed what I collect (still full spectrum used US), but I did go through a period a few years ago struggling with how to remove the self adhesives. I finally perfected my own process using the pure citrus air freshener spray. I have a bunch of other solvents I tried to, including the Bestine.

I actually pull the backing paper from the stamp (keeping the stamp flat) rather than the other way around. This helps reduce curling of the stamp. I also entirely remove the adhesive by spraying the back of the stamp again after I get it off paper and scraping it with the edge of a credit card. This removes the adhesive goo, without damaging the stamp paper at all.

Works great, but is more tedious than the old water soluble ones.

That said, if a stamp has die cuts rather than perforations, I just use the Pure Citrus, even if it is one of those older transition issues where water would work. It's just overall simpler.

I do find that because I'm pulling the backing paper off the stamp (rather than the other way around) curling is a minor enough issue that I actually don't have to press the stamps at all, and they are good enough. That speeds things up, and it also prevents cracking or splitting of the stamp ink that you sometimes see if you instead curl the stamp rather than the backing paper. Keep the stamp itself flat :)

Matt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,031Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05