Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Approached offsite for stamps.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24213 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   03:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Had this personal message supposedly from SCF,
I cannot find his name on the members list.
Happy to send a bunch of stamps, but would welcome advice on how to handle it.

Thanks.

Quote:
I am a 15 year old boy from India. I collect worldwide stamps do you have any doubles to give me please?

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 07/10/2018 03:42 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would decline. Begging and not even offering to exchange first is a negative to me, kid or not, as is not being a provable member. The cynical part of me here thinks you may end up being bombarded with more requests for free stamps. After all, you will be paying the freight also.

Years ago a religious neighbor got an aerogramme from Ghana (I think) sent out of the blue requesting a Bible. She sent it, and got more requests. We were then told by a former missionary that it was just a scam to get free cigarette rolling papers i.e. pages from Bibles.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a scam to get free cigarette rolling papers i.e. pages from Bibles.

That's terrible.

Same dilemma in the street of Los Angeles. There are lots of panhandlers in the city. Some are hungry, but many are buying drugs. What do you do?

Stamps, at least, you can't smoke or buy drugs.
Learn More...
5598 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   05:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The contact could not come from this forum unless the person had 50+ posts. They may have gotten your email address from somewhere else. I got the same message but it came from the Stamporama forum (which does not have the same restriction). Have you ever posted your email address online? The fact that the you cannot find the member name seems to indicate that it was not generated from the SCF system. If you forward the message to me I can look into it.

I hate to be cynical, but I would not recommend supporting this kind of solicitation. If a person cannot bother to come into the community and establish themselves for a few weeks then it smells like a scam to me.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are lots of panhandlers in the city. Some are hungry, but many are buying drugs. What do you do?

What you do is up to you. If they ask nicely, I'll give them some change, if I've got any. It changes neither life but might help them get by. Get in my face and suddenly I've got nothing to give them. As for liquor and drugs, you might eventually find your bosses and some of your coworkers are much bigger customers.

On the other hand, I've encountered a fair number of wealthy collectors (based on address) demand free stamps and services -- "I'm the only one collecting this country around here, so just give it to me. You aren't going to sell it," is a favorite. Or when caight shoplifting, "I only did it because your prices are too high." More common is the "favor" that will require a lot of work, but the recipient isn't about to pay anything for time/labor much less the item wanted.
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Learn More...
5598 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   05:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

eUreb3TwOvA
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1202 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These days its dangerous to take a chance on anyone whom you don't know anything about. There are scammers everywhere.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seigaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I am naive, but I don't think there is any real danger here. Maybe disappointment. Most of us have a fair amount of "almost un-tradeable" common stamps and can spare the price of a letter to India, if only on the chance that this request is legitimate.

If there is still doubt, why not ask if this person can trade for a few currently or recently-used Indian stamps?

Actually, in my experience, the bigger problem is the risk that your shipment would not arrive. A few years ago, I sent three batches of stamps to India, and only one got through to the addressee. The people who did not receive my stamps subsequently offered to send theirs anyway (I declined), so I think they were honest about it.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24213 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone .

Was my feeling when I received the email. Shall decline.
Thanks for all your opinions...

I do not generally leave my address anywhere, I have been a Stamporama member for 10 years, not visited for 6 years or so, I think I may have signed up for swaps many, many years ago.

Edited by rod222 - 07/10/2018 9:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seigaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - When a site is BLACKLISTED how could you possibly think we would be ok with you finding a way to get around the block? ***
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24213 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Seigaku,
the error thus, has been in his approach,
I wonder why he didn't approach me via (your coded forum)
I must say, for a 15yo, I found his command and use of the English Language to be exceptional.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seigaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that his approach was poor, and by the rules he has yet not met the requirements for trading. Your decision is fairest to everyone.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05