Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Michel 302 with three sides only perforated?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hawkstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I took a picture of my 302 because I can't find any mention of it in the Scott catalog. Any help to identify and lead me to the rifgt spot in my Scott will be appreciated. Or is it a FAKE?
Thank you,
Pete

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
5598 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   7:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It is real and comes from the upper row of a pane, the ouside columns and rows were not perforated. These stamp are called 'straight edges' by collectors and typically are considered less desaireable thena fully perforated stamp.

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5878 Posts
Posted 07/10/2018   8:39 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pete, this would be in the Scott catalog if you go to the introduction in the front of the Specialized US catalog. Just trying to help out another Pete!

Peter
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 07/11/2018   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hawkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks to both of you. I needed both answers to fully understand the matter.
Thanks again, Pete
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK I have a question.
First, I understand why they would be less desirable with a straight edge.
But wouldn't they technically be worth more as there are a lot fewer with one straight edge and even less with two straight edges?
By my count, according to the sheet provided there are about 324 fully perforated, 76 with a straight edge and 4 with 2 straight edges.
So why would these be worth less?
Thanks,
Robert
Learn More...
5598 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   10:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is very true that mathematically straight edges were less common when the stamp is released. (How many were saved and collected is another story.)

But the 'supply'; side any valuation is only half the story; the other side is demand. And demand for straight edges is significantly lower. Why? Symmetry. Many collector prefer a nicely balanced looking stamp.

Previously there have been folks who collect straight edges as 'sets' and as shown below (apologies to original image source, I forgot to record it.)

Don

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thepackrat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks for the info. Interesting way to collect. And interesting as I always thought straight edges were from booklet panes and never thought they would be from a sheet.
Thanks again,
Robert
Valued Member
United Kingdom
245 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other examples exist. "Minature sheets" of KG5 stamps from G. B. can be found made up of the corner and gutter blocks.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
1594 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, we need to correct some things.

The press sheet of 400 which Studebaker shows is fully perforated except for the red lines down/across the center - THESE are the straight edge stamps - along the central cut lines, not those around the edges of the sheet. The cutting of the sheet of 400 into 4 panes of 100 leaves 19 stamp on each pane with 1 or 2 straight edges.

The original poster's stamp comes from the 11th row of the 400-stamp press sheet, just below the red horizontal cutting line.

Some collectors in the early 20th century reassembled 9 stamps into mini-panes with the guide line around the perimeter. These are attractive (like the black Hardings above), but are incorrectly assembled to the way in which they were originally printed. Accurate reconstruction mounting would be like this, with the lines crossing in the center (colored dot):

(The guide line price guide scan is one I had posted originally.)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05