Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Duck Stamp Question???????  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add truefreight to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, does anyone know who's name is sighed on this stamp? I google Gio Bollinger and can't find any info...

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2413 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not everyone that lived in 1936 would show up on a google search..., would they?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add truefreight to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think on this stamp they would....
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A duck stamp needs to be signed by the buyer to make it valid
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5619 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   1:00 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the signature is of a George Ballinger,

Peter
United States
1 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adamscheer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I believe the name as signed is "Geo Ballinger".
You will find quite a few George Ballinger's listed if Google that name.
Good luck in finding the correct George on this stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
320 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
None of the stamp's artist, designers, or engravers match that signature, so as pointed out above, it was probably the buyer. It is probably unlikely that the name of some random hunter from 1935-36 would show up on the internet unless they were notable for another reason or just happened to be mentioned in someone's writings or genealogy work/obituary. For example, there is a George Ballinger (1906-1976) mentioned in someone's Ancestry.com research. Who knows?
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 07/12/2018 1:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
930 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In order to hunt migratory water fowl, you had to purchase a federal duck stamp and affix it to your permit, then sign your name across the stamp thereby validating the permit to hunt. If you were caught by a game warden without the permit and signature validation across the stamp you could be in trouble. At least that's the way I remember it from when I did duck hunting in south Louisiana....several years ago ....
Pillar Of The Community
1445 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Instructional text was added to the back with RW13 (1946-47) explaining use. The signature on yours would be a hunter's.

Here is that text on the reverse of RW14 and another RW14 on license with the matching names on the stamp and license.

The text changed some over the later years.
Edited by John Becker - 07/12/2018 3:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The artist for RW2 'Canvasbacks Taking to Flight' was Frank W. Benson. Doing a general search, finding his signature on any copy is quite difficult.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2413 Posts
Posted 07/12/2018   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would think on this stamp they would....

Why...?
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the OP did not realize that the buyer needed to sign the stamp, as I didn't either.

Now that we all know, the name does not mean anything significant.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Bid Online on Live auctions. Stamps, Coins, Fine Art, Jewelery, Collectibles, Antique, Furniture, Wines & Spirits, Collector Cars, Fashion.Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Help with these stamps from Bolivia!!
  Newfoundland stamp - First stamp ever of Princess Elizabeth
  Upcoming Harmer-Schau auction at APS show
  Big Blue scott intnl album part I on ebay
  Hungary 1959 postal exhibition matchbox labels?
  Simmy's Grading Upcoming Harmers International Auction
  Help with more info!!!
  KGV 1911 card to South Africa
  Can Anyone Identify This Blurry Darling?
  what qualified this One Penny stamp for such a value?
  July 20 QUIZ: How's Your Eye for Detail?
  POW Christmas card to Germany
  Is there any chance this stamp is a Scott #596?
  Interesting postal history - India stamp (tried to be) used in Hong Kong in 1968.
  $2 Columbian Pane of 100 MNH Back on the Block
  Round Corners what size punch
  New ebay handling fee?
  Help needed: USS Maine private print on postal stationery card 1898
  US Scott # 219, 219D, 220, 220a, 220c, 221, 222, 223, 225, 226, 229 + 16 Dupes!
  An example of where part-perf. first issue revenue stamps could come from
  2c Carmine Washington
  $1 Totem Pole single for $65 on Ebay !!!
  Montserrat : On Steiner Pages.
  color on 25 or 26, brown/plum? on cover
  3c pink color challenge

Great Britain : On Steiner pages.
  Help with these stamps from Bolivia!!
  Bugs, Insects, & Creepy Crawlies
  Monaco Stamp Engravers
  KGV 1911 card to South Africa
  $1 Totem Pole single for $65 on Ebay !!!
  Big Blue scott intnl album part I on ebay
  Simmy's Grading Upcoming Harmers International Auction
  Newfoundland stamp - First stamp ever of Princess Elizabeth
  3c pink color challenge
  bullseye and socked on nose cancels
  Stamp Smarter July Contest
  Checks Mix... it's tasty!
  do these worth anything?
  POW Christmas card to Germany
  Catalog numbers for the Los Angeles Liquor License Tax stamps of 1933?
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  color on 25 or 26, brown/plum? on cover
  COMPEX 2018: I came, I saw, I... was sorely disappointed.
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  New hazard at PayPal
  My first APS stampshow
  Upcoming Harmer-Schau auction at APS show
  what qualified this One Penny stamp for such a value?
  Interesting postal history - India stamp (tried to be) used in Hong Kong in 1968.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05