Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Does It Take To Use Postage Stamps?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,382Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 07/28/2018   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never had them complain that the stamps weren't valid for postage. As long as it adds up to correct amount they're happy. I do remember
reading of a stamp collector who put commemorative stamps on a package only to be told by the clerk that 'collector' stamps weren't valid
for postage.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by postagedueguy - 07/28/2018 5:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 07/28/2018   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A friend of mine related this story to me a few years ago. Early in 2007 he had purchased a pane of the then new triangular stamps commemorating the 400th anniversary of the settlement of Jamestown. But his initial attempt to use the stamps failed ... his mail item was returned to him undelivered. Attached to the envelope was a note admonishing him to use U.S. postage.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently postal clerks are now illiterate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3203 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   05:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would find it hard to believe some recent issues are postage stamps if I did not already know.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/29/2018 05:56 am
Valued Member
Malta
130 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Recently I was in the UK and I wanted to send some postcards. I went to a shop (I was unable to find a post office in the area) and after I bought some postcards I asked if they have stamps. The shopkeeper had a pane of Post & Go stamps, but she told me that they could not be used to send mail to Europe. I left, and later that day I happened to return to the shop when there was another shopkeeper. I asked again, and this time he sold me the stamps, and I sent the postcards.

Edit: Just realized that this thread relates specifically to the USA. Anyway, it shows that such things happen everywhere.
Edited by Halfpenny Yellow - 07/29/2018 12:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5961 Posts
Posted 07/29/2018   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post offices are an endangered species here. In most areas, we've gone from the substantial Victorian edifices that I remember from my childhood to a corner of a shop whose main business is selling groceries etc. In a newsagent or souvenir shop with a few books of stamps, it will be hit and miss depending on the stock and the know-how of the shop assistant. By contrast, Paris is great for post offices, although you'd no longer get away with their (high) staffing levels in England.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,382Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05