Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Values And Definition For Coil Stamps With Precancel (1297-1305)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 893Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

1375 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperix to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have read several times, also here in this forum, that stamps with precancel are considered as used, no matter whether they were really used (additionally cancelled), and also whether they have gum.

In Scott I find some stamps that are listed with precancel and with both values for used and mint, I want to ask this for the coil stamps Scott 1297-1305.

- what does the "used" column mean: no additional cancel or full gum both?

and what I wonder some time now and in topic case the question can be included:
- if in Scott a value for a pair and a line pair is given, what would be for example the value for a strip of more than 2 stamps, so let's say a strip of 3 or 5 stamps? I guess it's more value than a pair, but how compares a strip of 5 with a line pair of this mentioned issue?

thank you.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Used on a precancel means just that: used. A precancel is usually not cancelled, hence the name. But this not being a perfect world you sometimes find a cancelled precancel. And by the way, a mint precancel still would have gum. Also, with the advent of the plate number coils things have changed. Now collectors can use with a special permit these stamps, so you can find these cancelled as well as mint.
PNC's are worth more in strips - I do not know about older precancels

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 07/13/2018   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By it's very definition, a precancel - even if mint, never hinged - is used. Period, end of story.

Precancels are rarely listed in Scott, and when they are, they are only the Bureau precancels, never the local precancels.

When valuing a strip of four, it would be worth 2x a pair. A strip of three would be valued as a pair and a single. You get the idea...

The best place to find out more about precancels would be the Precancel Stamp Society. If you are interested, let me know and I'll sponsor you.
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 07/14/2018   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you - yes, I thought just like you.

But the section of the prominent Americans coils (1297-1305) has the values for used and unused for the precancel stamps, and in some cases with quite big differences. Let's take the 1305, the value for used is 1 USD, the value for unused is 20 USD. There must be a difference in the stamp's condition and in the definition of a precancel used or unused for those stamps.

I don't think that an additional cancel is the reason, as this is not the rule. Normally I would see it like:
- precancel unused: gum
- precancel used: no gum

But here we come to definition problems, as the "used" should normally be "original no gum" or "unused no gum", if there is no cancel.

Has anybody any precancel coils of that section and an opinion when we see a stamp like this as used or unused?
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 07/14/2018   05:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always assumed that all precancels were considered as used and do not really worry much about this topic. But I do collect coil leaders and trailers and I guess a case could be made that these are truly 'mint'.

I also assume that some of the issue is that a precancel can be used, come off a parcel with gum, and it would be indistinguishable from a mint precancel.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 07/14/2018   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this would be another special case, I am just interested in "the rule", so what collectors of the mentioned coils (1297-1305) assume as used or unused.
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 07/14/2018   06:59 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Precancelled 1297-1305 coil trailers and leaders are the same as shown above, I just didn't have a scan of one handy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2758 Posts
Posted 07/14/2018   11:12 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The precancels for 1297-1305 (and others) are not listed in Scott because the have a precancel but because they are untagged and the main listings for these are for tagged stamps and untagged examples of these stamps do do exist without the precancel (except for untagged errors). The value in the right column is for used which is defined as no gum, and the value in the left column is for mint which is defined as with full gum. (pre)Cancelled, yes, used, no.
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 07/16/2018   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much, this answers all my questions about them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 893Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05