Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Scott/Unitrade # 197 Wet And Dry Printings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,163Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

197 Wet Printing

197 Dry Printing
Send note to Staff
Edited by jogil - 07/18/2018 2:46 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
787 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, outside of the dry print embossing marks on the back of the dry print 197's. And I'm going to assume that the is a slight difference in size between the wet and dry print. Is there any other way to tell the print techniques apart?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jogil...I don't want to steal your post, but you do have knowledge with perfs and printings.

Can you explain if these blocks can be determined by the lower guide lines on the right stamp. trying to determine if these Scott 192i are plate 1 or plate 2.

Thanks buddy...Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 07/18/2018   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock13: There is a slight variation in the width between a wet (narrower) and dry (wider) print with vertical wove paper.

wert: 192i only occurs in plate 2 lower right pane position 87.

Edited by jogil - 07/18/2018 8:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 08/13/2018   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think there is any chance of it getting a Scott/Unitrade listing as a variety?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
787 Posts
Posted 08/13/2018   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems reasonable, 197a & 197b maybe. What's the process to request either a new variety or addition to an existing listing?
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will try both Scott and Unitrade. I hope that they will list these legitimate dry printed stamp varieties in their catalogues.
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another image of a dry printed Scott 197 (unlisted variety) which is listed in "Walsh BNA Stamp Catalogue" as NSSC 163e:

Here is another image of a wet printed listed Scott 197:

Edited by jogil - 11/07/2021 2:23 pm
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil..These are interesting.
Now can I ask a stupid question???
What causes the HORIZON lines on the gum side.

Robert

Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, the "horizon" lines are gum breakers. During the gumming process metal bars were impressed into the stamp "breaking" up the gum. It helped prevent the sheet of stamps from curling up. This was commonly used for US stamps in the 1920's and 30's.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@jogil - this is interesting, I have a couple hundred mint 197s to check now. Is this dry unlisted variety only for Die I (197), or Die II (197c) as well? The pics show Die I, unless I'm mistaken.

~Greg
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot: It is found on Canada Scott 197 Die I (plates # 1 and # 2) stamps only as per "The Medallion Issue, 1932" by Douglas M. Casey. The only Canada catalogue to list this dry printed variety is "Walsh BNA Stamp Catalogue" as NSSC 163b, 163e (plate # 1 block), 163f (plate # 2 block).
Edited by jogil - 11/07/2021 2:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 11/07/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jogil for the info - that halves the amount of stamps to check! Will take a look soon to see if any of the Die I are dry printed.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 11/08/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, all of mine are wet printing from what I can tell. Something to look for next time I get a lot of 197s.
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot: Even Canada Scott 195d is getting hard to find.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was lucky enough to find some unidentified 195d blocks & singles in a bulk purchase this spring. Kept a couple for myself, sold most of them and they went very quickly.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,163Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05