Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picture Postcards As Postal History Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/22/2018   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Deltilogical to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I've been looking at postcards from a postal history point of view as my knowledge increases - its a never ending field! I found this card recently and consider it a quadfecta - a lot of fun for less than 50 cents

* handcoloured picture postcard
* RPO postmark (partial)
* cork cancel
* bottom plate block number

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/22/2018   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cork cancels are very intriguing. I was surprised to find them still being used into the 20th century on the postcards!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6573 Posts
Posted 07/22/2018   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Delti, just as a bit of basic - the top stamp is a plate number single, not a plate block!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
515 Posts
Posted 07/22/2018   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat card. Interesting note on it also.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 07/22/2018   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"plate number single, not a plate block"

thanks! I'm dangerous with a little knowledge.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm finding so many great postcards, and little time to process them!

Here's another cork cancel from the 20th century. The readdressed and forwarded card was also missent, I see why postal history buffs like puzzling these out.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6411 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't generally collect post cards, though a number of them have found their way in. But when I see post card dealers at stamp or old paper shows, I always turn the box of cards around and search via the back. I do get a few looks.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1248 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always turn the box of cards around and search via the back. I do get a few looks

Yes, this has happened to me too

If I had a dollar for every online request I've made to see the back of a postcard I'd have enough bus money for months!
Pillar Of The Community
2298 Posts
Posted 08/19/2018   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "front" of an envelope typically contains the address and postage; the back side has the sealing flaps
Thus logically, the "front" of the postcard contains the address, postage and often a message with the picture on the back side. BUT try to tell that to a postcard dealer!
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/20/2018   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltilogical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm told back in the day, certain postcard dealers would order you to leave their table if you were "caught" trying to buy by the backs! Apparently those days are past.

I like to see the back of the card for several reasons, most importantly to identify issues that can not be seen through the image. if I can't see the back, I figure some defect is being hid.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05