Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

TONS of free stamps to the community

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Magguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So over the years I have read things and learned a great deal about stamps. Being 35 and only starting to collect after my grandfather passed, this forum has given me a ton of knowledge, and I thought I might give back a bit. For the most part, I love collecting to collect. I love filling holes in my binders and books, figuring what stamps go where and so on. For me personally, it has been less about the appreciation of the stamps of the stamps, and more about the collecting part. I realized when someone responded to a post I did a few years back, that I might have been selfish with a bunch of stamps I have hoarded, just keeping them to keep them. I'd like to give back to you all instead of throwing them up on eBay one at a time.

For he most part, I have reigned my focus on just kind of a broad "everything in the Scott specialized catalog". No the front of book and BOB. Don't really have a ton of money, so I started with the front, and once I filled everything in the front that was less than $5, with a few stamps in the $50-$500 range (might have been worth $500, but ugly as all get out with holes in it, but it filled a spot in my collection) I started working on BOB, because there were plenty of spots I could fill for cheap.

Basically, I'll leave it up to an honed system in this community. If a stamp is worth 5 cents, but you really want it, I'll give it to you. If it's worth a few bucks, maybe a trade for a couple of revenue stamps that would fill some of my spots (don't care if they are so ugly or torn you were going to throw them away anyways).

Here's my dilemma. I was thinking maybe people could just let me know what the want, send me a letter or something with a forever stamp, and I'll send the stamp you want on a first come first serve basis. But I work 50-60 hours a week, have a 3 year and a 1 month old at home, so I can't exactly respond to every email with a specific stamp someone might want. Any thought on how I might be able to do this to give back to the community? Here's a picture of just one page of just my revenue cancels, I have 5 more pages of these, as well as 5 pages of Cinderella's.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2942 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really collect that area (I do collect some Cinderella's). But what a great offer, and I'm sure you'll get some takers very soon. Good luck with the job and everything else. Only 30 more years to retirement ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Partime - 08/05/2018 12:22 am
Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lol. Well I can post pictures or scans of the Cinderella's, but than I might start getting into the "oh, I would really like that stamp if you're giving away" than we get into a bit of the crux of the problem. I could post a bunch of pictures and people can just respond "Dibs on that one" than send me a picture or something of the stamp they want in a letter and I can send it off if you give me a stamp to mail out. Not sure if it's the whiskey talking on my origional post, but depending on how much I have that people could want, this might be a really stupid idea. But meh, whatever. Honestly, im willing to go through the work if someone finds a stamp they really want and are willing to trade a few cheap R289-R734. I figure it's time we'll spent. Some people get free stamps for their collections, which would make me happy, and from time to time I get a few stamps to fill my spots.
Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edit: dang, half came out sideways, but I'm not going through image optimizer again.

I know most of these are probably only worth like 2 cents, but they are just gathering dust for me, so if you want any, have at it. I need to stop posting pictures for now I think before I get any kind of requests.
Edited by Magguss - 08/05/2018 12:53 am
Valued Member
Turkey
474 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Magguss - it's a really great offer - thanks!

My suggestion: hang on to them. It's a nice start to a BOB collection, with some interesting items. Who knows - you may get into these areas more later - (after the kids go off to college?!!) - and you'll then regret parting with these.

To 'give back' to the community, just continue participating & spreading the knowledge.

If you're dying to get rid of these, with as little effort as possible, then the next time you go to a stamp show, give them to the youngest collector you can find!
Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Might be a good BOB start for some, and I have a bunch more, but not my cup of tea for the most part. As for stamp shows, might still be Toby for me to make it. Would rather give back to the community to people who appreciate/collect more specific stamp collecting that I'm not looking for. I'll post some more images, and if people want scans of a certain page I can post that too. No clue what I even have, it if people do know, and want anything, I'm more than happy o share the love!
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BKing to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Magguss - those stamps next to the note "Fakes?" are Local Stamps, put out by private delivery companies - what we would call messenger services today. At left is Hussey's Post of New York City, possibly either a SC# L174 or L177 printed from 1858-1862. Next is Hussy's Bank & Insurance, same company-different branch, probably a L176 from 1862. Third is Boyd's City Express, NYC, founded 1840. The stamp you have may be a SC# 20L5 from 1847 and worth more than $300. (Or it may be something else only worth a few dollars, I don't collect local stamps and am not an expert.) Check them out in the Scott Specialized Catalog under the heading of Local Stamps.
Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I knew they were local stamps. Maybe should have called those reprints instead of fakes. They don't look right and they seem to be on very crisp paper.

Here is a picture. Sorry the wife has the laptop out of town so can't scan.

On the L176, I think it's actualy a reprint of L185 because of the broken frame line in the bottom left. It is for sure not white woven paper.
Edited by Magguss - 08/05/2018 1:02 pm
Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2018   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More battle ship stamps.

Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 08/07/2018   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, been getting some takers on a few things. Half of the stamps in my first picture and the registered stamp in picture 3 of my second post I'm sending out today or tomorrow.

Edit: Most stamps with cancels have been claimed. Thanks for the feedback!
Edited by Magguss - 08/07/2018 7:29 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/29/2018   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Magguss. I just came across your great offer. Do you still have stamps to give away? or what's left? Thank you.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
450 Posts
Posted 11/29/2018   7:24 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice to see you! Get into revenues! You'll never stop-

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/29/2018   7:26 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's just crazy talk. No one in their right mind collects revenue stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5120 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And you should know! :-)
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05