Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Valuing A Stamp Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 974Next Topic  
Valued Member

84 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add doodah12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to value some parts of a collection that I inherited, that I might like to eventually sell.
I know that Scott CV, is a retail value, and resale value, if I'd like to sell will be much less.
Some questions, value of used stamps. I have many, many used stamps, old and newer, but mostly modern, ex. Israeli tabs, japanese, british empire, varied countries, whose scott catalog values of used, many times is virtually equal to the mint catalog value. Is this really possible in modern stamps, that the used value is equal to a MNH stamp?
And if I'm valuing for example a mint and used Japanese collection, can I actually use these used catalog values, along with mint values as a barometer to the total value of the collection?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
505 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkabq8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. It it really possible for modern a used stamp to have the same catalog value as a MNH version.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5034 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing to remember is that, whilst catalogues must assign a price or a value, stamps assigned the lowest prices or values are, in fact, close to valueless in the real world. Most stamps are penny stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1153 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A reasonable rule of thumb is to a resale assume you will get 5% of catalogue value for full sets unmounted mint post-1945 (unless you have known major errors) and 15% of catalogue value for everything else. "Classic" stamps of high initial catalogue value, especially full sets in good condition and well-centered, can get up to 40% catalogue value.

Some countries have a premium for types of stamps (e.g. Germany for unmounted mint "classics"), and some countries have a better market for certain types of stamp than others. Smaller auction houses in the UK, for example, sell many country collections on leaves, but this market may be different in another country.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1277 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogue values are set by dealers, so those are the prices they wish to receive to cover their inventory, web sites, advertising, staffing, property rental/taxes, light, heat and power costs.

For example a used modern stamp in The Unitrade Specialized Catalogue of Canadian Stamps is valued no lower that 20 cents. That means that if you were to buy only one used stamp from a dealer, she/he would want the full 20 cents. Buying multiples of single used modern stamps would allow the dealer to significantly reduce the total selling price of the lot.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2829 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogue pricing methods vary by catalog maker. Yes some makes seem more interested in supporting a diminishing "traditional" dealer model meaning it is not "market pricing" but subsidized pricing model. Dealers that price at catalog are not pricing by market. For some this leads to disappointment when the dealer would only pay a fraction of what the person paid for it.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/06/2018 11:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6022 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also keep in mind that catalog values are for "very fine" examples. Off centered and damaged stamps sell for a small fraction of catalog value if they can even be sold.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 974Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05