Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transportation Coil Efos And Bronx Blue Ferry

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,709Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add quigngt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently made a major purchase. Major for me at least even with an accepted "Make Offer". An album filled with 117 different Scott number coils which included a single and pair, a PNC1, PNC3, PNC5 for 112 of the Scott numbers. A few had multiple PNC5s and some included PNC7 strips.

My Scott number count of 117 different includes Scott varieties ( a letter added to the number). So, technically someone may disagree with me since there are often multiple letters added to one specific Scott number. Tagging variations not given a letter are not counted in the 117 different Scott numbers, only numbers assigned a letter by Scott.

The photos show a few of the higher catalog values ($100.00+ from Linn's 2002 list of values). I don't know how accurate the values are for today's market. I would like to know where to find a free, or purchased, updated value list. Someone here kindly directed me to pnc3.com where I did find a hard copy for sale. But I prefer a download rather than a hard copy.

Photo below has two untagged errors and one misperfed. The 15c Tugboat does not have creases. The creases are only on the stamp mount.

Photo below has one PNC5 Plate 5 that is NOT Bronx Blue to compare with possible PNC7 Plate 5 Bronx Blue
Send note to Staff
Edited by quigngt - 08/06/2018 12:49 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quigngt, nice collection!. Be careful with the "untagged" ones, a lot of them are not really untagged. In order for them to truely be untagged there should not be any tagging apparent, not even miniscule specks.
I can not help you with a free values list - it takes us ( PNC3 catalog comittee ) quite a long time and lots of work to put one together every other year.
Your PS7 of the Ferryboat is indeed the Bron Blue error.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Peter. I fully understand your need to charge for a list, I doubled checked most of the stamps after receiving them and to be honest, I felt exhausted several times. Do you sell a values list available as a download?

I did noticed some untagged stamps that would fit your description of miniscule specks. I am pretty sure the Canal Boat and Tugboat did not have minuscule specks but I will recheck to be sure. I'll do that later tonight.

I really appreciate your confirmation of the Bronx Blue strip. The album also has 3 PNC5 Bronx Blue and also 1 strip of 3 w/o #.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, what constitutes the Bron Blue error? I don't recall seeing it ID'd in any literature, but then I could have missed it too<sigh>. Still trying to figure out all the more common errors in the Transpo series (does a listing exist?) as opposed to flyspecking every oddity or slight difference from the norm, which I'm still working on!
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GrandpaJohn,

Added edit: Bronx Blue is a shade of blue that is different than the normal blue. Bronx Blue is lighter and to my eyes has a bit of a sky blue appearance.

Here is a link where you will find much of the info you are seeking. Undoubtedly, not nearly as complete as pnc3.com but it does list the Bronx Blue Ferry.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ntifier.html

***quigngt - Please do not use that link, it is a pirate site that does not have permission to publish the 1847usa content. The revised link above is the correct site.***
Edited by quigngt - 08/06/2018 1:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi quigngt, would you believe I have that link and totally missed the variety<sigh>. Gittin' old ain't for sissies...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GrandpaJohn, the Bronx Blue is a very well known variety almost from the First Day of Issue. I believe it was called Bronx Blue because that is where it was first found and identified.
Just to keep you informed - a second variety exists also on the Bronx Blue. It is called "Scratches through the 9" or just "Cancelled 9" and is found on position 1R, to the right of the plate number, It has several fairly thick scratches through the 9 of "Ferryboat 1900's" and is probably caused by a tool falling on the plate.

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 08/06/2018 2:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, excellent sir, when I get to my batch of 32 Transpo's I'll be on the lookout for one. Who knows, I might get lucky. Shoot, even monkeys fall from trees<G>.
Edited by GrandpaJohn - 08/06/2018 2:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/06/2018   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To the person (web manager I assume), Thanks for the tip and adding the correct link. It was just yesterday that I found the pirate link from a search on Google. It didn't appear to be pirated and I never even considered it to be. Again, thank you.

Edited by quigngt - 08/06/2018 7:34 pm
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 08/07/2018   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please note that the URL for the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club web site is www.pnc3.org, not pnc3.com. pnc3.com is the site of stamp dealer Craig Selig.

The PNC3 Values List is not available as a download. But you can scan the hard copy as long as you don't share it.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/07/2018   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522 and philatomic,

I fear the scan shows that the Canal Boat untagged has what you call minuscule tagging. All but 2 stamps show the minuscule tagging.

The 15c Tugboat has one pinpoint size minuscule pinpoint on one stamp and what looks like a small lint shaped tagging on another stamp.

Bummer, but at least the Bronx Blue are genuine.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quigngt, please keep something else in mind. The spots on your untagged strips could possibly come from another stamp or strip. Rub a finger, or better a Q-tip over the tagged spot and see if it does not go away!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter, I'll try that.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I passed a Q-tip over the stamps and as far as I can see most, or all on some strips, disappeared. My blacklight is not a high quality bright one so I still have a few reservations on some stamps. I have a Lighthouse L81. Sometimes I think I see a tiny bright speck and then passing the light over it again, I do not see anything.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7719 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hang on to them and label them as untagged. If specks appear and disappear there is a good chance the taggant comes from somewhere else,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/11/2018   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help and advice Peter. I genuinely appreciate it.

Marty
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,709Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05