Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What am I missing about this Scott 35? Why $200+?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

297 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   7:02 pm  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add matttodd1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm baffled why this used scott 35 has been bid up to over $200. It's nice, but not rediculously nice. I would think a grade 85 scott 35 should normally sell for $50 to $100. What am I missing?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/drbobstamps-...89%7Ciid%3A1

Matt
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1479 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that the term is "bidiots".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   8:23 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is impossible to arrive at an exact value for any given stamp. The variables are infinite and constantly in flux. I am not at all surprised with the interest in the stamp. I think the grade could have easily been a 90J. Perhaps it would have been with lighter cancels.

This listing bothers me more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NobleSpiri...372388395636

Pillar Of The Community
1479 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually Winston, one can get an excellent feel for what is an appropriate price range for a given stamp, in particular a common stamp such as this. Try Siegel Powersearch for a start (which in this case will not provide 85 results).. You do need two bidiots however to pump up the price. As far as 90 goes, should've, would've, could've. It is an 85, not a 90. I will note that eBay is NOT a place to find appropriate price ranges. LOL!

FYI - Here are some Siegel realizations for MOG examples of this stamp in the grade of 85.

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....ubmit=Search

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   9:09 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is an 85, not a 90.

The "grade" a stamp achieves is as set in stone as value is.

I think the stamp compares quite favorably to the used 90+ stamps in the Siegel Powersearch.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   9:13 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Dr. Bob stamp if anybody missed it. I think it is a lovely stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   9:18 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Noble Spirit #35 posing as a #34. It sold for a mere $658.29. It had three backstamps but there is no way of knowing what the European experts had identified the stamp as.

Pillar Of The Community
1479 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$658! My, my my. By the way Winston, I like Dr Bob's 35 as well.
Valued Member
297 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   11:22 pm  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a pretty scott 35. I can't though for the life of me figure out why it was bid up so much.

Matt
Pillar Of The Community
United States
613 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   11:50 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that it has a May 5 New York cancel, and a May 14 cancel as well. Maybe can be used to determine what ship it went on!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3819 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   07:26 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are no rules for what a stamp HAS to sell for. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

P.S. The Siegel search, as well as SAN are close to useless for mid- and low-value stamps, as the chance of singles cataloguing below about $250 as singles rather than parts of balance lots is very small. The populations are too low to draw any meaningful conclusions from.

Pillar Of The Community
1479 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - You completely miss the point. The point was to make a comparison to what has been purchased in the past at what price point. In other words, how much more stamp went for the same range of dollars. And nobody has said that a stamp HAS to sell for "x". This is a simple thread about taking note of what would seem to be very enthusiastic bidding on a given item.

Go Red Sox
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1029 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For what its worth - I think I see a '1' preceding the 5 on the NYC transit marking. That would make the ship sailing, likely the 15th, with the original CDS the 14th.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be noted that as soon as the auction is over the "value" of the stamp is $1 more than the 3rd highest bidder was willing to pay
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I don't collect US Classic (yet), but I gather from looking at Scott the absence of the 3 pearls at the bottom right is diagnostic of a type V and therefore a #35 rather than a #34.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
613 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   3:41 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp - oops, missed that - good eye!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  NOVAPEX 2018 - Dartmouth Nova Scotia , Canada -September 14 -16
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  The elusive "propriwtary" revenue stamp variety
  Old checks with stamps
  The most misleading auction lot description of all time? (Narcotic stamps)
  Does anyone know what Scott# this is
  Scott 25ii - This could be "Bothwell paper"
  Frank Geiger - still in Business?
  Another great offering for everyone's funny bone!
  AIRPEX 2018 August 24 and 25 FRI. Noon-6, SAT. 10-4
  Use of c or Abbreviation for Classic Stamp Descriptions
  The importance of understanding a catalog listing
  Are these USA precanceled stamps?
  Catalogue listings not showing values.
  Indo China overprinted with Viet Nam - Dan Chu Cong HOA - North Vietnam?
  WW2 covers censored in Canada AND USA ?
  Help needed in identifying stamp on Malta 1988 money order
  Getting back into the hobby
  Help identifying stamp and value
  Canada new $4 definitive press sheet
  Glazed paper vs unglazed
  New Zealand Scott 184 1d devalued to ½p by handstamp - is there a Scott number?
  Indochina/China French offices: 2 Fr Olive ??
  Anyone collect 'Miniature View' Postcards?
  Catapult mail from Sweden

German Perfin Catalog
  New, Free, US Stamp Album Pages
  Italy Stamp Engravers
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  The elusive "propriwtary" revenue stamp variety
  NOVAPEX 2018 - Dartmouth Nova Scotia , Canada -September 14 -16
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  Good grief, idiots will bid on anything.
  The importance of understanding a catalog listing
  Scott 25ii - This could be "Bothwell paper"
  Canada new $4 definitive press sheet
  1c 1851 Plate 12 Stamps
  show your stamps with maps on them
  Another great offering for everyone's funny bone!
  Old checks with stamps
  Why I Hate Selling Books on Ebay
  Glazed paper vs unglazed
  Stamp Smarter August Contest
  US Stamp Give-Away (August 2018, #1)
  My first APS stampshow
  Aadvice on Australian Stamps
  Are these USA precanceled stamps?
  Modern Industrial Art and Design
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Other catalogs, railroads for example

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05