Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found: The Worst Stamp Collection Listing on Ebay

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
2008 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hold on to your hats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Worldwide-...AOSwqbxaBiUa

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1622 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rodgcam,
Is there a point to threads like this that add so very little to this community? We all know you are an avowed non-user of eBay, but you obviously spend countless hours looking at exactly the same site you continually disparage. Why?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2008 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - Actually, there are frequently threads such as this that point out silly listings. Hopefully one might find them humorous for their content. As far as "We all know that you are an avowed non-user of eBay" goes, it is unclear who "we" is/are. Could you explain?

My apologies if you find that this post adds very little to the community. Perhaps I should run my topics by "we" first to see if they are worthy. In the meantime I will try and clean up my act and post things that add more to the community. I will start by avoiding any criticism of eBay since that seems to trigger quite a few folks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1221 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes!

Personally, I just change the channel when something that I don't want to watch is on.

Each to his own, I guess.

I also get amusement from just about everything that shows up on this site... sometimes, the sillier it is, the better it is.

Just saying.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
2008 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. Not everything is filet mignon. Sometimes junk food hits the spot!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1561 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   10:11 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aw, come on. Get a sense of humor. I sort of enjoy looking at this stuff. No one is being forced to if it bothers them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2485 Posts
Posted 08/08/2018   10:11 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone notice that there's "product reviews" in this listing? They have nothing to do with the listing or seller at all, except "stamps". This product oriented approach by eBay is just going to be very weird and not very applicable.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm continually amused with posts such as these that target only sellers on eBay. I have yet to see photos taken in dealer's stores or tables at shows with some of the ridiculous pricing that I've seen examples of through the years. To each their own.
Pillar Of The Community
2008 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   05:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
5712 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   05:18 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Walkman82,
We had a significant non-eBay thread regarding a failed auction house that rogdcam was active in. I think some the frequency of eBay threads reflects the popularity of the platform (and the number of bad listings). I also think that many folks love to hate eBay. This is evident in threads which are critical about some change that eBay has made; a very small minority of people ever defend eBay and most people bash them.

Hi John,
I spent a considerable amount of time and effort building an online review system on Stamp Smarter. This tool has many advantages over using forums as a way to communicate bad listings but for whatever reasons people choose to use this forum instead. We do try to keep all the eBay listing threads in the "eCommerce: eBay, StampWants, StampOffers, Paypal, etc." forum category. But there are some peppered in other categories, especially if the thread has significant educational value for identifying a stamp or variety. If anyone wants to float any ideas (other than censoring eBay threads) for improvement we would certainly consider them.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1013 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is a qualitative difference between "bad listings" that are bad because of their real potential to rip off buyers (misidentified stamps, hidden faults, unethical selling practices etc. We all know the type), and those that are "bad" simply because they are so amusingly out of touch with what it takes to make a sale that satisfies both parties. The former deserve serious discussion and (negative) publicity, whether here, on StampSmarter or elsewhere. The latter are simply good entertainment.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GoshKruse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I enjoy topics like this because I enjoy very smart people bantering on about a subject like this. It's how a novice like me learns, while also modestly entertained.

I will now spend more time looking at the review system on Stamp Smarter. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
832 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   4:30 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like selling on eBay and wish it was a cleaner venue. I don't buy or sell US Singles only WW Collections and my categories also have a lot of junk listing by novices or ridiculously over priced items from the Big guys. In spite of these problems it seems to work out and bidders always manage to find my items.

I found the discussions about the bad listings by Anthonys to be enlightening, I had no idea this was happening and I thought 26 pages of discussion was overkill but it was an interesting topic and maybe saved some readers some $. I noticed that Noblespirit changed the title on the MNH Penny Black so I guess they were listening and that's good too. My only problem with these discussions is when the poster makes over broad generalizations. ie All Auctions that start at a low price are a con. That's just silly.

I think we should continue talking about the eBay problems and educating readers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3789 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken -There is something going on with all these low price opening bids ,I am playing with them from the big 3 firms . I have been looking at stamps that catalog over $100.00 and opening bid at .99 . I will throw in a $7.00 bid or something around 1/15 of catalog .So it is at 99 cents ,I throw in a $7.00 bid and 15 mins later I am outbid at $7.50 never a $9.00 0r a $13.00 bid then we play the game again . Getting out bid by 1 or 2 ticks ,it is a game that someone is controlling .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
832 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   6:29 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's just how eBay works, if the other bidder bids $10 to your $7 the next bid to show up will be $7.50. If you jump to $9 his bid will be $9.50.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05