Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member seeking mounting advice  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
4 Posts
Posted 08/09/2018   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add HaleHalf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've been posting over in the coin forum and now need to seek some input over here.

I inherited my grandfather's coin and stamp collection. The stamps are in a 1949 Scott album. It's pretty complete from a 1922 Nathan Hale (551) to 1948 Air Mail stamps, but there are gaps here and there.

Each stamp is mounted in a plastic holder that's hinged to the page. The hinge isn't on the stamp itself but on the plastic holder. I'd kind of like to fill in the gaps and finish out the album but am new to this.

Is this still an acceptable form of preservation?

He also has a ton of First Day of Issue cancelled envelopes, 1960-1972. I'm guessing I don't need to do much for those other than leave stamps on their envelopes and put them in a sealed bag.

Finally, he has a collection of envelopes from the 1870s through 1890s. Oddly, they're mostly to the same person but not a relation. The stamps look pretty common. Sealed bag as well?

All help is appreciated - thanks!
Send note to Staff
Edited by HaleHalf - 08/09/2018 11:49 pm

4 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HaleHalf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's an example of an album page:
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For unused stamps like the ones you show, especially if they have never been hinged and have full original gum, then definitely continue to use mounts like these. For used stamps or stamps without gum, then the stamp could be hinged directly to the page. Incidentally, I really like the idea of using hinges with mounts rather than directly adhering the mounts to the page. I used to do this with my general US collection (when I had one). Helps preserve the album pages and makes them reusable.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HaleHalf,

You may have to re-mount your "plastic holder" stamps if they are "HE Harris Crystal Mounts". They are bad for the backs of your stamps. I use "Showgards", myself.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1455 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   10:23 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mounts indeed look to be Crystal Mounts. Were I you, I'd be getting them out of those soon. The adhesive gum strips on your mounts are discolored, not good. It also looks like they are shrinking, another issue with these. Sorry to rain on the parade but I've seen a lot of old collections using these and they are usually best replaced.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that Showgard mounts are preferable.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3225 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   10:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If replacing, you'll probably find top-loading mounts by Hawid and others, rather than thise with a divided back, like Showgard, easier to use.
Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a big fan of Hawid mounts after de-mounting a collection of MNH that had a darkened horizontal stripe on the back of each stamp where the split occurred in the mount.
4 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HaleHalf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looks like I have some remounting to do, but I'd rather spend a few dollars than let the collection get ruined!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1823 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HaleHalf, the most important aspect is storage conditions although some mounting methods like Crystal Mounts add risks. There is risk in everything.

There are a lot of users of split back mounts who have used them for years without issues so there are other factors than just the mounts.

I am surprised that stamps even survive given they are often handled by hand, attached to a hinge with saliva, and mounted on not the best archival paper (most stamp album pages).

From my calculations the cost of mounting starts at around 4 cents each (buying strips and cutting them) to more expensive types like Hawid.

Al
Edited by angore - 08/10/2018 4:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
701 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the most frequent problems which occur when using split back mounts is that many collectors try to mount them with the stamp in them when they apply the moisture to the gum side.

That's a Bozo no-no.

Even if you are very careful, there is always a possibility of moisture migrating to the split, which then affects the NH gum on your stamp.

Instead, I measure the mount with the stamp inside and trim it using a guillotine style cutter. I then remove the stamp and affix the mount to the page. I put both the stamp away and the binder when I'm done with affixing the mounts. I'll return to them the next day.

This gives the mount and page time for any residual moisture to evaporate. I then mount my stamps in their new home.
4 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HaleHalf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Super - this is great advice. Thanks for helping out a newbie!
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing to remember is you don't have to lick the whole top half of the mount. I only lick enough to stick it to the page. I can both remove it and reuse it, if I choose to.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1823 Posts
Posted 08/11/2018   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you do not have a calibrated tongue to apply the right amount of moisture, you can use something like a Q-tip to place a small amount at the very top center.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3225 Posts
Posted 08/11/2018   07:38 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A dab from a glue stick is probably better than saliva!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1823 Posts
Posted 08/11/2018   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A dab from a glue stick is probably better than saliva!

Ha! Do you know where your mounts (or gummed stamps for that matter) have been?
Al
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Is this listing a new approach to educate buyers?
  SRILANKAs New Stamps
  Hipstamps at APS StampShow
  Canada $4 Bighorn Sheep
  Would someone help me with a Postal Card
  Has anyone else bought from Hippostcard.com?
  Norway Post-Horn Identification & Types
  A Guide to US stamp descriptions and where to get them
  An Ebay Tale "Sellers don't always lose"
  Does this Hawaiian stamp look genuine?
  Any formal or informal group, association or clubs available for zip/mail early block collector
  Looking for sources of info on defunct Zippy Collector Club Intl.(ZCCI) or old members
  Benjamin one cent stamp.
  A color visual guide to tagging - Transportation EFO's
  Scratch in oval, 3c 1851-57
  Ebay "error print with white crease line red line"
  Japanese Stamps with Overprint
  Are these Polish or Italian?
  Trying to ID stamps from Panama
  Archiving/Mounting safety
  Scott 30b - Possible "Balloon Flaw"..?
  Dealing with eBay Changes: Specifically Ended Items
  Is this considered a cut cancel?
  Mt Fuji substation & postmark
  Looking for sources of info to help id all Great American types/varieties

Is this listing a new approach to educate buyers?
  Canada $4 Bighorn Sheep
  Making your own album pages for your collection?
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Archiving/Mounting safety
  SRILANKAs New Stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  A color visual guide to tagging - Transportation EFO's
  Hipstamps at APS StampShow
  Hoe Printing Presses
  C25a miscut pane question...
  2018 USPS Issues... News? Thoughts? Opinions?
  How to identify the 2720 varieties
  Aadvice on Australian Stamps
  Austria : Stamps on Steiner pages.
  Would someone help me with a Postal Card
  Are these Polish or Italian?
  An Ebay Tale "Sellers don't always lose"
  Fleetwood Proof Cards 1980 1981 James Hoban
  US Stamp Give-Away (August 2018, #1)
  Has anyone else bought from Hippostcard.com?
  Scott 30b - Possible "Balloon Flaw"..?
  Ebay "error print with white crease line red line"
  Sweden Stamp Engravers
  1c 1851 Plate 4 Stamps

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05