Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

C25a miscut pane question...  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blcjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The image below shows two miscut C25a booklet panes. The one on the left shows evidence of staple marks, but the one on the right does not. What is the most likely explanation for the one on the right lacking staple marks? Were uncut sheets ever made available to the public? What I am wondering about here is the possibility of the one on the right being "fake" by being created from an uncut sheet, and never part of an actual BKC-2 or -3 booklet. Or is there a more likely and reasonable explanation?

-Basil
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm mot sure if it was done as early as 1941, but in later years unstapled booklet panes were made available at the first day city for use on first day covers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I think it makes a difference to your point, but these were issued in 1943, not 1941.

But even in the era when unstapled panes were made available on the first day, wouldn't it be unlikely that the POD would "issue" miscut panes like this? I am assuming (for whatever that's worth) that errors like this would get out into the wild only in booklets where the miscut would not be seen unless the booklet was opened.

And that is why I cannot help but wonder if "miscut" panes without staples might be fake. But that would require getting hold of uncut sheets and then miscutting them intentionally, and I'm not sure how easy or likely that would be.

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1133 Posts
Posted 08/10/2018   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree blcjr; given the quality control checking that the Bureau had in place at the time, the likelihood of actual issue is probably zero. These are probably best classified either as printer's waste or fakes. The left example doesn't even look like the correct width, and these were cut with fixed knives so variable width is not a possibility for a genuine pane. Also, the presence of staple holes does not increase the likelihood of genuineness. They have been faked as well in other issues.
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 08/11/2018   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this information on a page at pnc3.org:

I'm not entirely sure what it all means (like the fields with "." in them), but I'm definitely curious now about "Tabs without holes." Would this be a reference to staple "holes" (as opposed to perforations)? If so, how would this happen?

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   12:58 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
while this is a larger than normal miscut, miscuts from this time are far from rare and not printer's waste
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6688 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   04:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it appears to be a genuine miscut. While it doesn't show any marginal markings, it's still a pretty significant miscut.

Also, "no hole" panes do exist for this booklet pane and are listed in the Furman catalog. While my 1999 Furman is very out of date, it does price the "no hole" C25a at 10x the price of the normal booklet pane with staple holes -- that will at least give you a rough idea of the premium.

And yes, "tab without holes" and "no hole" mean the same thing in this case. The "no hole" panes are simply panes that were never bound by staples into a booklet.
Learn More...
5455 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   06:19 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the smaller margin and the premium value, could someone have not trimmed off the holes? Could the booklet be assembled upside down? (There appears to be small holes at bottom of pane?)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, you have very sharp eyes. I have the piece in hand (received it yesterday) and looking at the back you can actually see the outline of the staples in the gum. That is not evident in the following scan, but the scan does clearly show the staple holes.

So this came from a booklet in which the panes were not just miscut, but the sheet was upside down.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6688 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, Don does have sharp eyes! A bonus EFO of an EFO!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05