Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Sources Of Info To Help ID All Great American Types/Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 768Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JRS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone help with sources of information that can use to id all Great American types/varieties (1986-94) or is there some checklist already created out there of all the types/varieties?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to www.PNC3.org you can click on the "Reference" button. Go don to "the Plate Number". In some of the last issues of this journal are articles about varieties of the Great Americans, and also quite a lot of ads that list lots of them

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2673 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry wrong group,
Edited by littleriverphil - 08/14/2018 7:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil,

Those are "Famous Americans" not " Great Americans. "
Learn More...
9910 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice web page, Don, and it reads great on my tablet.

The only stamp on that series that I can claim any special knowledge about is the 65c Hap Arnold stamp so I scrolled down to it and noted what I am pretty sure is a mistake.In the last field with info regarding selvege markings it says "1988." That is what you would expect given the date of issue but my recollection is that it is "1986." I have a theory about why that is but I would like to confirm my recollection first. I will be home in a couple of hours and will check my FDC exhibit (Vermeil at Americover earlier this month; it will never get Gold as long as judges expect to see regular --non-philatelic-- usage on cover) where I have strips showing all selvege details. More then.

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/14/2018   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an image I grabbed off eBay showing the 1986 (C) in the selvege:

Why 1986 when the stamp was issued in 1988? Well, the stamp was a long time in development. In fact, in 1986 the USPS held an "unveiling" in Gladwyne, PA, of the proposed stamp on the 100th Anniversary of Arnold's birth. At the time, the denomination had not been determined, and the design of the stamp unveiled in 1986 was different than what was finally adopted. But they still kept the 1986 on the "photo essay" of the new design and that is the year that is shown in the selvege as actually issued. 1986, not 1988.

Basil
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for direction on finding material. Appreciated. Stampsmarter.com looks like great resource wasn't aware.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 768Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05