Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Norway Post-Horn Identification & Types

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,447Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

France, Metropolitan
2657 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add perf12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 08/15/2018   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I saw a recent article on this topic in either Linns Stamp News or the American Philatelist. No matter to me as I recently disposed of my Norway collection as part of the downsizing of my (formerly) world wide collection.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Currently living the nightmare that is the Norwegian Posthorn.

Regarding Postmark CHRA BYP ? Would that be a TPO? (Travelling Post Office)
CHRA = CHRISTIANIA 8F = Time of day?

PS: In a major divergence from regime, STEINER spaces this issue as Large and small dies, however Gibbons advises this has no practical service in classifying the stamps, due to their complexity.

Edited by rod222 - 07/08/2020 01:46 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to perf12 for posting that Norwegian site: very helpful. For the first time I understand the difference between the shaded and unshaded posthorn ring. Catalogue photos haven't been clear enough.

As for the seemingly infinite number of types in these series: deep waters. Let us know whether you resurface safely, Rod.
Edited by EMaxim - 07/11/2020 10:39 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let us know whether you resurface safely, Rod.

Eric,
Put the Norway Album back in the bookcase, gave up.
The "Lions" watermarks defeated me, watermarks were unsolvable.
Too busy to continue on with that frustration.
Probably need Facit catalogue to continue.

Glad to see you have had some success.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/11/2020   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You'll no doubt return to that album in time. The difficulties are what make for the most interesting stamps. Remember: With endeavor success!

Just received my first copy of Facit. Haven't yet had the nerve to try Norway without it.
Regards,
Eric
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Regarding Postmark CHRA BYP ? Would that be a TPO? (Travelling Post Office)
CHRA = CHRISTIANIA 8F = Time of day?

I don't know about the "8F", but the "CHRA BYP" is short for CHRISTIANIA BYPOST, i.e. Christiania City Post.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Eric,
I had solved it previously 8F = 8am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,447Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05