Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Messaging System Not Working?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 705Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
495 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add uboatnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently, I and other members have experienced non-delivery errors with the SCF messaging system. Specifically, when using the system to send an email to another member, the recipient never gets the email.

When the sender checks the box to send a copy of the message to their own email, it arrives within 60 seconds.

There are some subjects that are best settled/discussed off-line rather than via open postings on the forum.

What's going on and when can we expect to see it functioning properly?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
294 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   2:01 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I experienced the very same problem awhile back when negotiating the sale of a book to another member, it soon became apparent that he was not receiving my messages.

I messaged the owner or a moderator about it but never got a response. Only today did I realise the futility of using a message system that is not working to send a message about it not working
Clive
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1166 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clive, nice double negative.
I tried to send a message yesterday from rules page to moderator about the difference I found in pages regarding the sales/buying/auctioning of stamps on this site. The rules page says at least 50 posts while another says 100 posts and when I tried to send a message it would not allow me to do that as I have not posted 100 times yet.

Mike
Learn More...
9659 Posts
Posted 08/16/2018   11:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is 50 posts. The 'Send Note To Staff' link in every post and on every page can be used to contact Staff but any member at any time. The rule of 50 posts is there to prevent spam, stopping morons who join and then instantly start sending spam.

I know for one that I am very responsive to EVERY message sent to me or any 'Send Note To Staff'. My track record is that I respond within minutes. This literally includes responding from hospital beds, dialysis chairs, and chemo infusion chairs. Right now I am typing with one hand because I had surgery on my other arm today so I am in pain and this may be responsible for my attitude right now; but I think that it is a bunch of crap to post that I am not responsive.

If this is not responsive enough for people then ask Bobby to remove me as Moderator and I will step down. Perhaps there are other people who will be willing to pour hundreds of hours into reading every post and mediating complaints from people who use this free resource.
Don

PS. I used the forum email system every day and send at least 5-10 messages per day. I have not seen the issues posted above. Keep in mind that some people use secondary 'free' email accounts when they sign up and that they may not check them for new mail very often.
Valued Member
Canada
294 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   12:24 am  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
If you mistook my posting as a dig at you, I apologise, if anything it was a dig at my own stupidity. I wasn't implying that you do not respond to messages, in fact I don't recall whether it was to you or Bobby that I sent the email message to.

I have experienced issues with the email message system on a number of occasions where I am absolutely sure that I have not received messages sent to me, and I am absolutely sure that the person I have sent the email message to has not received it either. In all cases however, when sending an email message copied to myself, I have received the copy.

As I wrote in the previous posting I attempted to alert either yourself or Bobby to what I believe is a problem. Unfortunately I used the email message system to do so rather then "send note to staff" which probably would have been the more sensible option.
I had other things on my mind at the time, and forgot about it until I saw uboatnut's posting so I never followed up.
Clive

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32827 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I experienced the very same problem awhile back when negotiating the sale of a book to another member, it soon became apparent that he was not receiving my messages.

Oopsies !

If, (I cannot recall) you sent it around Beginning July, still not received the book (47 Days) So we have another 22 days before we get worried
Edited by rod222 - 08/17/2018 01:43 am
Forum Dad
USA
1708 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While we have had issues being on blacklists in the past, mail delivery right now has never been better.

I cannot control what other services do with what they think is spam. For example I know as 100% fact that AOL and Verizon will vaporize emails they think are spam and never tell me or you.
Valued Member
Canada
294 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   11:49 am  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If, (I cannot recall) you sent it around Beginning July, still not received the book (47 Days) So we have another 22 days before we get worried

Rod,
I am starting to get concerned, this does seem to be taking very long even by Canada Post standards. Give it another week or two and if it still hasn't arrived I will send you a refund.

Quote:

I cannot control what other services do with what they think is spam. For example I know as 100% fact that AOL and Verizon will vaporize emails they think are spam and never tell me or you.

Bobby,
I don't think that this is a case of emails being filtered by the receiving ISP. For example I receive SCF emails notifying of new postings, I also receive copies of the emails I send even though the intended recipient does not. But I do not receive emails sent to me.
If my ISP was doing the filtering I would not be getting any SCF emails at all.

Just a thought, could it be that when one has "Check here to have a copy sent to yourself" checked, that it sends the email only to the sender and not both the sender and recipient.

Clive
Edited by clivel - 08/17/2018 11:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1166 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, just to be clear, I was not attacking (you) the moderator or wanting to Spam. If I have sinned, please let me know! I am trying to be responsible and I simply wanted more information.

I was reading the rules page and wanted to ask a question about the selling part of this website. I knew it took 50 posts in order to email or sell to others, and I wanted to ask why it showed the auction/ selling symbols as if it was live and useable. When I proceded to send the message to staff it said I was not allowed to do that and I had to have 100 posts. As I was unable to ask the question directly it said I could use a forum/thread to pose questions. I chose this one as others appeared to have problems, so I placed it here rather than starting a new thread. I seriously did in fact receive a message of 100 posts Minimum when I tried to send message to staff.
Am I to understand that even from the rules pages that I cannot email the moderator/staff only, until 50 posts? That was unclear to me.

As for your moderating, even as newbie I notice that you are always on top of things and offer good expertise. I cannont speak for others but I believe that no one had any complaints directed at you but at the inability to use the "instant" messaging systems everyone has come to rely on. Too much in fact because of scrubbers and filters. Take care of your health should be your 1st concern, not the problems of others. Personally, I did not expect to see a reply for at least 24hrs.

Regards,
Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 08/17/2018 4:45 pm
Learn More...
9659 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   4:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. This section from the Rules page pretty well sums up the best way to communicate

The 'Send Note To Staff' reaches three people, sending an email reaches one person. Typically there is always at least one of us online and monitoring things.

Note that trouble shooting the emails is difficult due to there being multiple servers that are not in our control. The best we can do is verify that a email left our server; after that we have no way to see what might have happened.

As Bobby noted, we got added to 'blacklists' on some servers a while back but this issue was resolved. There are currently no issues on our side; emails are being processed correctly.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 705Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05