Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British FDC Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 932Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add katieh97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

[img]uploaded/katieh97/20180817_4dabb7190634acc3bfe88751a90af37b.0.jpeg[/img

Need help with this first day cover 40th anniversary of battle of britan
it seems a normal fdc until you look at the back and it has a Cyprus stamo cancelled a month later exactly I have never seen his before would anyone know anyyhing about this or a value
many thanks
Send note to Staff

United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add katieh97 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add katieh97 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/345737035945?rt nc amp orig_cvip true amp nordt true target _blank rel nofollow 345737035945 /a e2bac82dec.0.jpeg" border="0" style='cursor:default' onClick='doimage(this,event)'>
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi katieh97,

This is not an FDC as the Wales 10p stamp was issued in July.

It's a commemorative cover for the Battle of Britain Open Day held at RAF Coltishall in Norfolk along with a charity sheet created for that event.

The sheet contains two labels but these are not postage stamps.

I can't read the details, but I assume it was sent to an RAF base in Cyprus and was subsequently posted back, hence the Cyprus stamp and cancellation on the reverse.
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 08/17/2018 3:30 pm
Valued Member
Cyprus
113 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The significance of the Cypriot stamp on the cover can, I suppose only be appreciated by the person who prepared the cover.
Here are some observations:
- Of all the similar covers I have seen, yours is the only one that has the additional script under the four squadron hand stamps on the back.
- Some of these FDCs do not have the four hand stamps on the back.
- The insignia hand stamped below the Cypriot stamp looks like that of 30 Squadron
-Of the four squadrons represented by the red squadron hand stamps and the additional badge, only one, 6 Squadron has a direct link with Cyprus having being stationed at RAF Akrotiri in the early '50s.

The signature on the back of the cover could shed some more light, I though that it may have been RAF Akrotiri's commander at the time Air Vice-Marshal R L Davis but I don't think that's right.

In any event, the covers themselves are not expensive, however the signature on the back could change that if it belongs to somebody important/famous (Sir Douglas Bader on similar cover is around 150 Pounds). I don't think that the Cypriot stamp is all that significant and it could have been stamped on favour, besides any letter mailed in Cyprus requires an obligatory refugee tax stamp.

Your cover is certainly interesting and may be unique but as for the value.....??
United Kingdom
4 Posts
Posted 08/18/2018   03:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add katieh97 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi its signed by flight lt R.Humphreys
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 932Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05