Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Re-Post! #518B Please Help With ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 839Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
46 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sharons25 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted pictures on the 14th of August but they were fuzzy I am re-posting today and hoping someone can help me to determine if indeed this is #518b with a set off on the back.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ggreve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a $1 Franklin Head Perf 12 Scott number 423, but it has 518 written on the back.

The 518 variety is Perf 11, yours looks like Perf 12.

518 has no watermark.
423 has a double-line watermark.

You can check the watermark if you want to be sure.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1097 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to ask the following question as I don't understand what I see. When I look at the back of the stamp and it has an offset print image and someone marks the number I can read it. Why are the numbers on this backward? Is this image reflected in a mirror or what?
Thanks 518 - 815

Should have said setoff rather than offset. My bad.
Edited by No1philatelist - 08/17/2018 11:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7244 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We call this set-off. Back when the stamps were printed the still damp sheets ere stacked on top of one another and voila - we hae a mirror print ( more or less ) of the front. The OP's stamp has a very clear case of set-off

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1097 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. I understand the mirror print during printing process, but the handwritten numbers are wrote backwards. ?
Pillar Of The Community
3362 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 518 is written upside down. Rotate the stamp 180 degrees and read it easily
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1097 Posts
Posted 08/17/2018   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John. Not used to my world being turned upside down!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 08/18/2018   12:47 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no conclusive way to determine from a fuzzy photo. The only real way to determine is to compare it side by side with known examples.

The stamp pictured in the original post is perf 11, with the bottom perforations trimmed off.

Find a scanner and scan the possible 518b and a couple of 518 stamps in the same scan. a 518b will appear to be brown compared to normal 518 examples. Note that two 518b deep brown shades are said to exist.

Edited by cfrphoto - 08/18/2018 12:55 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 839Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05