Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

M.n.o.o.p. (Mint Not On Original Paper)

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,659Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Not used but rather the self-adhesive cousin of hinged."

"I disagree. Since it is now fully adhered to paper, it no longer has gum. It HAS been used, just not canceled. A hinged stamp (in most cases) still has its original gum intact."

If I am am understanding what the OP is doing, I would say that it still has its original gum "intact." The paper that it is being applied to is "from another stamp" so it could still be removed from that paper, glue intact, and used as if just removed from the booklet.

Discussions about what to call this are almost pointless because of misappropriation to start with of the word "mint." We lost the battle on any meaningful use of the word "mint" with "mint (never hinged)" as if a never used but hinged stamp was still in "mint" condition. When appropriated for items other than coins, the only sensible meaning of "mint" is "perfect." Since we seem intent on using "mint ..." to mean something other than "perfect," the best that we can hope for is that the description accurately conveys the condition of the stamp. If we are going to continue to use "MNH" we cannot objectively reject "MNOOP." But unless that practice is common, I doubt that the use of that acronym has any chance of becoming common. Instead, it just illustrates the Alice in Wonderland character of this discussion.

Basil

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5308 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   08:14 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, my mistake. Other backing paper, not just any piece of paper, which is how I read it.

That begs the question though, since we're splitting hairs: Since most backing paper has content printed on the back, the stamp would now be affixed to backing paper that is not original to that stamp. Would anyone care? Frankly, no self-adhesive stamps are likely to be worth more than face value in our lifetimes anyway, so the point may be moot.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use the stamps around the one I am keeping, I pay all my bills by snail mail and I ask for commemoratives when getting stamps!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My solution: collect used stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5308 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   10:00 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. That.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see stamp dealers do something similar to this all the time. They will peel a single especially from a booklet and place in on a different backing paper to sell it as a single. Especially true for double sided booklets.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They will peel a single especially from a booklet and place in on a different backing paper to sell it as a single.

Which is why I buy only full booklets directly from USPS. I can use some of the stamps for postage & then easily keep the leftover(s) for collecting.
Rest in Peace
Netherlands
963 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is still on backing-paper so the gum is intact!
But what if the backing-paper had been printed upon.... and the new backing-paper had another print?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1229 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow! If the dealers are moving stamps off original backing paper and putting it on backing paper of other used self adhesive stamps, without disclosure, I don't think I will bother with them. (The stamps that is) To me that would be T.R.A.S.H.postage. Total rebellion against self adhesives.
Edited by No1philatelist - 08/24/2018 6:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   11:16 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I disagree. Since it is now fully adhered to paper, it no longer has gum. It HAS been used, just not canceled."

Now I know you read further and saw that stamp in question still has its adhesive, but lets say it was adhered to a regular piece of paper. That still does not make it used as it has not gone into the mails. It is the self-adhesive equivalent of an unused no gum stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5308 Posts
Posted 08/24/2018   11:33 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unused no gum and used uncanceled are effectively the same thing. Beyond the knowledge of the original owner, and other possible marks, scuffs, etc., there is no way to tell by looking at a stamp affixed to a piece of paper whether it has "gone into the mails". It's a meaningless distinction.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,659Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05