Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Industrial Revolution Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,428Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow stamp collectors. I'm helping my daughter with a project on the Industrial Revolution and textile industry. I thought there was a stamp for pretty much everything in history, but I can't seem to think or find any for this. I did find the Famous American that have some inventors, but are there any others? Thanks in advance!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33567 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sws,
your cynosure appears a little foggy to me.
Industrial Revolution, or Textiles? US Only ?

Textiles here:

http://goscf.com/t/38387 br /

Textile Ind Rev
http://goscf.com/t/6175 br /

Joining the two, no doubt you would need to address India at some point.
Steam driving the Ind Rev.

http://goscf.com/t/54681#478751 br /
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/22/2018 3:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod22, sorry for being unclear. I was looking for US stamps on the topic of the American Industrial Revolution. I feel this is a big enough topic in history that should have been honored by a stamp or two. Besides the stamp of Eli Whitney I can't find anything.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampOCD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
u.s.stamps :
made in America # 4801k
Rio Grande blankets #3926-29
Oscar de la Renta #5173
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33567 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi Rod22, sorry for being unclear. I was looking for US stamps on the topic of the American Industrial Revolution. I feel this is a big enough topic in history that should have been honored by a stamp or two. Besides the stamp of Eli Whitney I can't find anything.

Right.
I am only a passive collector of US, so not my strong suit.
Give us names or Companies etc, I am sure we can dig something out.
One would be hard pressed not to find a plethora of stamps to cover just about any subject.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33567 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I'll have a look through my database, using some hints from here...

https://www.encyclopedia.com/histor...anufacturing

Dramatic change in the U.S. textile industry occurred in the late eighteenth century with the introduction of machines. They aided the development of textile manufacturing in the United States, which had been hindered by the high cost of labor and the scarcity of capital. The United States had a ready resource of highly skilled craftsmen to design, build, and improve the machines. Despite British efforts to stop the export of textile manufacturing knowledge and machines, American inventors based their earliest designs on those of the Englishman James Hargreave for the spinning jenny, which he patented in 1770. Jennies, machines to spin thread from fiber, appeared first in Philadelphia in 1774–1775. In the 1780s machines appeared for carding cotton and wool by cleaning and arranging their raw fibers.

the slater system
Rhode Island became the first textile manufacturing center in the United States, with mills established at Providence and Pawtucket in 1789. These new factories overcame initial difficulties with the arrival of the Englishman Samuel Slater in 1789, who had a thorough understanding of the advanced textile machinery used in the English mills in which he had apprenticed. (He claimed to be a farmer to bypass British emigration laws.) Slater built the equipment and the mill, supervised it, and paid half the expenses. His partners, William Almy and Moses Brown, purchased the raw material, had the yarn woven into cloth, sold the cloth, and paid the other half of the expenses. Slater eventually used his financial success and expertise to build his own mills. After the introduction of the mills and the machinery, most U.S. cloth was factory-made rather than homespun.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33567 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Perhaps,
Elias Howe (1819-67) – perfected a sewing machine that could sew 250 lock stitches per minute

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess this kind of solidifies my own search that there really weren't stamps issued for the American Industrial Revolution. Thank you for the ones you came up with though!!
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Five stamps in 1940 Famous Americans focus on inventors: Scott #'s 889-993.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33567 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, it looks a little tight.
I would approach it by first drafting the text in conversation with my daughter, depending on her age, then adding stamps to illustrate the story.
The Ind Rev. was a worldwide phenomenon, the inclusion of other countries would be quite in order.

I'd use search topics like lace, Quilting, embroidery, denim, fashion, seamstress, crotcheting, linen etc, to find stamps to highlight the paragraph,
there is Eleanor Roosevelt at the spinning wheel, from India, for example.

It can be done, but will take some work.
Good Luck.

This could have well be me, in the 1970's, only my shirt was a bright puce,
the shoes very similar........

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7615 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The industrial revolution helped to create a need for dozens if not hundreds of US revenue stamps. Most are not Scott listed however. Occupation licenses, special tax stamps, and many taxes on the products of the industrial revolution.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1668 Posts
Posted 08/23/2018   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a nice (non-philatelic) site, covering what you may be aiming for. If you check it out you may find some other people or inventions that have appeared on U.S. stamps.

http://www.american-historama.org/i...ventions.htm
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 08/23/2018   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope the OP checks back and sees the link posted by 22crows. It should indeed suggest a number of ways in which this theme could be further explored with stamps, using stamps to illustrate inventions that characterized the industrial revolution. One focus might be on how it revolutionized transportation:

Perusing the Topical Forum here might stimulate the imagination further.

Basil
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 08/23/2018   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much. I might try a different approach. Being a stamp collector I turn to stamps frequently when my daughter asks me for help explaining her history class or asks questions about historical people and they have never let me down! When this topic arrived I did my usual stamp search and when I couldn't really find anything thought I must be mistaken!!

I appreciate all the help and thank you Rod222 for going above and beyond. We'll use what we can from the issues you suggested and use some other resources!

Thanks!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05