Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Feeling Overwhelmed With Newly Acquired Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,221Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/27/2018   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampyjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

Please excuse the lengthy post ahead of time. I wanted to include as much info as possible up front.

Unfortuantely I recently lost my father. Earlier in his life, he was a philatelist starting as early as 1945 and built up a respectable collection. In his passing, he shared his gift with me. I have little to no knowledge in collecting and quite frankly, feel very overwhelmed trying to compile his collection. I would appreciate any input and am, as you can imagine, quite interested in the value of this collection. The collection is as follows:

There are two categories of stamps (see below for breakdown):
- Stamps that have been properly placed in collector albums. All hinged and carefully placed on album sheets.
- A large box of somewhat sorted stamps. My father received many stamps from many countries around the world by writing to embassies, communicating with other collectors, etc.

THE ALL AMERICAN STAMP ALBUM
- From 1847-1943+
- includes food ration stamps
- 10-15% complete
- some twin stamps or unmarked stamps

SCOTT PUBLICATIONS INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE STAMP ALBUMS
PART 1 (1840-1940)
- Includes:
- Abyssinia - Zululand
- United States
- Confederate States
- 55-65% complete
- some twin stamps or unmarked stamps

PART 2 (1940-1948+)
- Includes:
- Aden - French West Africa
- United States
- 40-45% complete
- Many twin stamps
- many unmarked/clean versions

PART 3.1 (1940-1948+) Has two Part 3 books
- Includes:
- Gambia - Nyasaland Protectorate
- 70-75% complete
- Many twin stamps

PART 3.2 (1940-1948+) Has two Part 3 books
- Includes:
- Pakistan - Zanzibar
- 70-75% complete
- Many twin stamps

PART 4 (1956-1959)
- Includes:
- Aden - Zanzibar
- 0% complete

PART 5.1 (1960-1965)
- Includes:
- Aden - Zanzibar
- 1-2% complete

PART 5.2 (1960-1965) Has two Part 5 books
- Includes:
- Aden - Zanzibar
- 10-15% complete

UNSORTED COLLECTION
- Includes:
- Some notes of country of origin
- Some full sheets
- Many attached to envelops (some unopened)

NOTES
- There is a note that states there are more than 18,225 stamps. He kept record of his age, but stopped recording after age 33.
- This note also includes the number of stamps from each country, state, governing body, territory, etc.

How do I even begin to value this collection, let alone compile well enough to value. Again please excuse the length of this message.

Sincerely,
Overwhelmed.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   03:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Unfortunately catalogs can only provide a general idea since market values are not the same as catalog values. And even through it sounds like your father's collection was large, millions of stamp were originally issued so it may or may not have a large value.

You may be able to find a lcoal resource (stamp club meeting, dealer, etc.) which could given you an ad hoc estimate based upon a quick look. Or you can post some representative images in this community and the folks here would be able to do the same. Posting about 5-10 images of some of the oldest or more interesting pages will give others an understanding of the scope of the collection.

Of course you can never tell if a valuable stamp or variety be hidden somewhere amoung the pages of a common collection. Becoming experinced enough to spot them and looking for these is one of the reasons that this hobby is enjoyed by many.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2829 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Don said, the actual market value (what a dealer would pay) and catalog value are totally different.

If you want an approximation, you should contact local stamp dealers and get an estimate. I would be prepared to pay for an estimate if you have no plans to sell. You did not state what city or state so we cannot recommend anyone.
Al
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore & 51studebaker Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

I am currently located in Northwest Arkansas. Doing a little research, I was only able to find someone a few hours away at best. If someone is known in this area, that would be great help to me.

Regarding the box of 'assorted/uncategorized' stamps. Do you suggest that I dig in and try to organize.

As you can Imagine, it is rather interesting viewing each piece from different time zones and countries. Of course, no clue how to even begin that task. plus the sheer volume is somewhat intimidating.

I will try to post a few samples from both the catalogs as well as the 'assorted/uncategorized' box later today when I have access to my camera.

Thank you and thanks for the welcome!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
524 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a great basis on which to build a worldwide collection! I inherited similar last year from the family and got bitten by the stamp collecting bug with a vengeance - so watch out :)

You don't mention the Scott albums covering the early 1950s, although I would expect that from part 3 of the IPSA. Perhaps your father put volumes 2 & 3 together to cover 1940-1955, and that's what you have in the volumes labelled 2, 3.1 and 3.2?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that the first thing you should decide is whether you plan to keep the collection or prefer to sell it. If the answer is the latter, then I would say that you might already have a potential buyer right here on this forum. If you plan to sell I would suggest coming up with a price for the entire lot that would satisfy you—considering that the collection cost you nothing to begin with. This would seem to be a better use of your time than trying to evaluate each stamp individually. A couple of representative photos might help. Experienced collectors can usually tell at a glance what kind of material a collection contains even by examination of a fraction of the overall inventory.

I tried to send you an email with this information but your profile indicates you do not wish to receive email. Some communication is better handled privately.
Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   2:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NOTE Forum Rules...

Quote:
Buying, Selling, and Trading are only to be done in the appropriate forums.

and from the Buy/Sell/Trade forum..

Quote:
You must have 50 posts to start a topic or reply in this forum.

Basically the forum requires people to join and have at least 50 posts before they start doing any transactions. This is for safety reasons.
Don
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
funcitypapa
Thank you. As I learned a bit more about how Scotts albums are categorized, I did find it odd that the albums were categorized as such. It almost seems as if Part 2 is actually separated into 3 pieces (part 2, part 3.1, and part 3.2). Also, of course there is no part 6 included with his collection.

email is live.

51studebaker
Thank you for the clarification I do not wish to break any rules.

Also, I plan to at least spend a little time reviewing the collection as it allows me reminisce and review some of the notes my late father left, which is nice. My initial intent was to get an idea of where to begin understanding what I got myself into with this collection. Understood that a fresh account should not engage in any immediate trading on this site. Please excuse a novice on this forum.

I will post some examples of the collection later this evening.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot
I apologize I forgot to respond to you. I found it interesting that there were two copies of part 3 and part 5. I wonder if that is relatively common?

It has been very interesting looking at all of the different designs, especially when considering who/what was relevant in the world at the time of the prints.

Definitely a welcome trip down memory lane with some of the notes I have found.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   3:50 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joe one of our SCF members has one of the best philatelic websites out there and it is dedicated to collecting the book Number 1 from 1840 to 1940. I'm only guessing but there's a good chance that most of your value would be in that book for your world collection. You might start by taking a look at Jim Jackson's Big Blue blog:http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/?m=0
Good luck, Ray
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ray.mac

Thank you for the great resource. digging in now.

I haven't been able to find much about the all american stamp album, but there are quite a few from the mid 1800s in there (very cool to see).

Looks like I have a lot more digging to do.

Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   4:36 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker
again thank you for your guidance.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all,

I am sharing some images from the first album I mentioned. I have a few more to add from the Scotts Part 1 album shortly.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 08/28/2018   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So from what you post I would describe your father as a collector of predominantly post ally used stamps and not too fussy regarding condition
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/29/2018   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampyjoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FunCityPapa
It looks like I favored the allied countries, which was probably not the best representation. There seem to be a pretty wide range in his collection (again this is from a novice perspective). Some seasonal pieces. lots of interesting pieces from some of the smaller countries. of course several interesting pieces from the wars.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05