Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Stamps Used In Austria After 1938 Annexation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 685Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1364 Posts
Posted 09/03/2018   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trainwreck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was perusing the Scott Classic Specialized Catalogue and noticed Scott lists German stamps used in Austria after the 1938 annexation. I was sorting German stamps at the time, and discovered these three.

The first stamp was postmarked in Vienna at some time after annexation (the date is unreadable, and the stamp is heavily creased). It is listed as Austria Scott A485.
The second stamp was also postmarked in Vienna, in March 1943. It does not have an Austria Scott number because it was issued after 1940 (the Scott Classic Specialized Catalogue goes up to 1940 only).
The third stamp I really don't know. The postmark reads "THERESIEN...O...". I don't know if the location is associated with Theresienstadt / Terezin in occupied Czechoslovakia, or some other location. If anybody can decipher the town name and location, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you get a chance, post images of your German stamps used in Austria after the annexation.

Thanks, Robert
Send note to Staff
Edited by Trainwreck - 09/03/2018 11:23 am

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 09/12/2021   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 2017 Scott Classic Specialized Catalogue and I too have noticed how they give values to the German stamps used in Austria. My 2013 Scott Standard G-I catalogue doesn't list them.

I only wish that they listed the stamps use in Austria AFTER 1940 as well.

Does anyone know where to find the relative values for German stamps used in Austria after 1940? Are there any dealers that might have pricelists for them?

Any information is appreciated! Thanks!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 09/12/2021   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ,have a cover collection ,that address these stamps and how they were used . I collected them around 1973 and never continued it .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6303 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look for these, you can find them...especially Vienna/Wien.

For the smaller towns and villages, a "process of elimination" can be used, especially if you have good (pre-1938) listings of town names.

Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
German stamps used in Austria after the 1938 annexation

An interesting way to phrase it, since legally Austria ceased to exist on March 12, '38 and the territory renamed Ostmark. You're just collecting Third Reich-issued stamps used in the Third Reich from 1938-1945, strictly speaking.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6303 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, technically these were just stamps used in annexed territory which became part of Germany for a brief period. And, for Austria it isn't a difficult thing to do, because the town names didn't change.

For other annexed nations and territories it becomes more difficult, because the nazis didn't just change some town names once, but in some cases even twice, or three times.

And then in East Prussia, which wasn't lost after WWI, after 1939 they changed some town names once or twice to make them more satisfactory to their politics.

Since modern Germany understandably wishes to put all of this in the past, it can be difficult to "run down" WWII town names in Eastern Europe.
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can only speak for Czechoslovak territory, but name changes didn't happen until the communist era. At home, we would use the German and Czech names interchangeably… Znojmo/Znaim, Uherský Brod/Ungarish Brod, Praha/Prag, etc.

Any of the tens of thousands of German-printed maps from 1600-1945 will give you the German name for pretty much any town in Europe. Wikipedia likely will, as well.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 685Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05