Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Please Help Me Identify These Postcards And Their History??

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,427Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gswarriorz510 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently purchased a lot of 50+ postcards. Wondering if these are any good?!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   07:24 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends upon in what sense you mean "good". The postcards themselves are mainly standard views or greeting cards from the period, which are ordinarily worth pennies. I can't speak for the stamps or postmarks. The card of the men on horseback is the type that can attract more interest. Enjoy!

May I also recommend this excellent site?

http://www.metropostcard.com
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by GeoffHa - 09/06/2018 08:26 am
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gswarriorz510 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool thanks for the feedback!
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a postcard collector, but as Geoff says...I think real photo cards are more highly prized than colorized lithographs. The same applies in the world of stereoviews.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4602 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The publisher of the RP (Real Photo) card is unknown but the card was published on AZO paper.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4602 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should also note that on a lot of these coloured postcards, the colours were 'brushed' in. On some series of postcards I have come across will have the same exact image but the colours were brushed in to make it look either like day or night and in some instances clouds can be added to make it look like a storm may be approaching. From what I can see in here, the coloured cards in the hobby of deltiology would be referred to a 'colour litho cards'. Hope this helps?

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 09/06/2018 11:13 am
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gswarriorz510 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I understand what you're saying about this thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That first one marked Sydney. Neat looking bridge for the times. Definately not Sydney Nova Scotia, or Sidney British Columbia Canada, so definately Australia.

The postmark dated Feb 26, 1906 or 8, hard to make out, is from Tasmania. An Island just off the south coast of Australia

Mike
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/06/2018   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That is the Como Railway Bridge, Sydney Australia.
Photographic Postcards generally fetch $10-$20 in West Australia, if they feature local content, Tasmania Whom knows?

The Postcard is missing the stamps, hence a negative.

The family Bramich, is a very well known identity from Tasmania's early days,
Mr. Bramich a saddler, amongst many other things, and passed away 1940.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1811 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Como_railway_bridge

Railway themed postcards are always popular.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
543 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last postcard, boy asking for money from Mama. Things never change!
Michael Darabaris
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gswarriorz510 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! Thanks for the information everyone much appreciated
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The real photo of the people on horseback is by far the most interesting and most valuable of the group. It is postmarked at General Grant National Park, CA, (post office open 1910 -1940) now known as General Grant Grove within the larger Kings Canyon National Park.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3193zd, when ever did you hear a boy called Marion. Some change allright! Oh yes, 1911 to now, things sure have changed. She must want to buy a postcard and stamp to mail it back to Mama so she could have it for her postcard collection!

Mike
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... when ever did you hear a boy called Marion ...

Like, you know, this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne

But don't forget about the boy named 'Sue"!

https://www.youtube.com/_Gbtm-93oqE

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Edited by ikeyPikey - 09/07/2018 9:11 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/07/2018   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whew!
thank you Ikey Pikey,
I knew there was one fella, I gave up, after searching Paul Newman, and Marlon Brando, I knew I had read of one famous actor with a name of Marion.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,427Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05