Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling Of Collections Intact Or Broken Up As To Subjects? Types?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 826Next Topic  

4 Posts
Posted 09/09/2018   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pickastory to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING. All capital letters is the internet version of yelling. Please don't do it in titles or posts. ***
have numerous collections assembled by some very well known collectors friends of my fathers along with family collections

question;
1 sell intact as displayed?
2 sell as single items to allow rare items to be in new collections?

my father wanted the items to end up in the hands of collectors not dealers

will try a image

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
Posted 09/09/2018   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are these collections of philatelic convention souvenirs?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 09/10/2018   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you aren't a collector yourself, it's likely that you'll need to sell via or to a middleman, who will be either an auctioneer or a dealer. An auction house will take a view on whether an album will realise the best price if sold intact, or with particular items sold individually. Perhaps you could upload some more pictures - as noted above, this one image is a little cryptic.
4 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hello all
thank you for your time
lo1 lo2 lo3 with cert
heres a example of together or separate?
4 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
all;
my fathers friends have informed me that he was very strong in postal history and documents
extensive in israel and us and germany 80-90 apple boxes full albums
the regular us is from #1 to bob 3 tall file cabinets with albums

some very special collections by c. chase, mal brown, dr. day, e. jackson, b. weiss, j. solen, h. goldstein, k. greenberg, i. deach

several collections were mounted in 'frames' for show
should these remain intact?

I selected a rev stamp that has double transfer, silk, etc...is this so special that a cert is mandatory?

thanks to all

brenda

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6901 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brenda. From the few items that I see I think Geoff gave you a very good piece of advise. I have no idea where you live, but you might want to check the following website. Go to www.stamps.org and click on the "stamp collecting" button. Then go to "local clubs" and see if there is a stamp club in your area. You might want to contact them and ask them for advise. If you go to a dealer yourself they will try to pay you as little as possible - they have to make a living. I hope you have good luck!

Peter
4 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi peter
let me ask what would you do with the 3 carriers?
or; anybody else?

a. sell separated ( benefits collectors)
b. as a lot (benefits dealers, auction houses, wellheeled collectors)

as this would apply to any grouping or subject its hard to balance the 'value' vrs the 'effort' to sell off 1 lot or 3 items

thanks for your time
brenda
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4133 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be thinking everything through an auction house. Where are you located?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2328 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   11:44 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In general you will get more if the collections are broken down rather than sold intact, but of course that will take more work for whoever is doing the selling. You don't have the expertise to do this properly yourself.

Whatever you do, don't rush into anything without checking multiple options or the first person you talk with could fast talk you into making a bad choice. You appear to have better stuff than we are usually shown. The highest estimate from an auction house is no guarantee. Some houses overestimate the value to try to trick you into thinking you will get more when you sell thru them. Others go in the opposite direction with their estimates so the final results look good as they don't want to disappoint you. While a low sellers commission is nice, what matters is the net, which is sale price minus commission. Your father's friends might be able to advise you (although again you should get a second opinion)

Let's look at the locals. The LO1 probably needs a cert. The LO2 catalogs $80 with a $80 premium for the red star cancel (assuming the cancel isn't forged), but it has a chunk missing from the upper left corner. If the stamp was not damaged, the $160 would be roughly what a full service dealer would ask for the stamp, not what you would get in an auction, and you will get even less due to the damage. The LO3 only catalogs $50, but the cert is a plus. Bottom line is no major auction house would run the LO2 or LO3 by themselves. Each house has a minimum value which varies from house to house, but these are well below that. Depending on whether there are other locals or not, the LO2 & LO3 would either end up staying with the LO1 or be put with some other stamps.

I don't really understand the revenue stamp that you say "has double transfer, silk, etc." - it appears to be a type of R44, and the silk version is R44d, which is very cheap, but there is no double transfer listed for the R44d, only for the non-silk R44c and that one is also very cheap.

Be aware that e. jackson (Eric) is a dealer and b. weiss (Bill) was an auctioneer and as such things that came from them are not considered name collections (although Bill did have a stamped envelope collection and maybe a foreign mail collection), but of he was buying from them, then there should be some decent value there. I assume c. chase is Carol Chase (which should be good), but I don't know the others.

Israel is very weak unless there is some very early specialized stuff. Germany comes in different flavors (States, Empire, East), so it is hard to comment too much. Postal history could be very good, but it is a very complex subject.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05