Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have I just discovered a never-before-seen color error?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Japan
36 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JPR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I was looking through a pile of Japanese stamps and I came across a multicolored one that appears to be missing one of its reds. This is the original one, Scott #2088 (Michel 2042; Sakura C1337) from 1991.

You can see in mine, however, that the lady has no mouth and the man has no embroidery in his shirt. I checked in Scott, Sakura, and JSDA, but I don't see anything about a color error. What exactly am I looking at here?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
5436 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   12:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion a used stamp is very difficult to use as evidence of a 'color missing' variety since it could have been exposed to environmental issues. Light, chemicals etc. could have easily changed this stamp. Mint stamp and multiple examples are typically needed to prove a previously unknown error.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
29 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CP2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Red is always the first color which goes missing over time. No idea about this one but I am In the printing business. I am not sure if they use pigment or dye ink but even pigmented inks after a while will fade, especialy red.
Edited by CP2018 - 09/11/2018 2:10 pm
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the colors of both stamps are somewhat different, I especially notice the background color also. As stated by the others I agree that a variety of factors may have affected your used stamp.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 09/11/2018 9:55 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23796 Posts
Posted 09/11/2018   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my opinion a used stamp is very difficult to use as evidence of a 'color missing' variety since it could have been exposed to environmental issues. Light, chemicals etc. could have easily changed this stamp. Mint stamp and multiple examples are typically needed to prove a previously unknown error.
Don

Very much agree.

Valued Member
Japan
36 Posts
Posted 09/17/2018   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JPR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's pretty rare to have this kind of consensus on a stamp forum. I guess I didn't win the lottery after all.

Thanks all!
Valued Member
Singapore
161 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I beg to differ. The original printed colour for the two backgrounds seem different. You may want to check a catalogue to see if there is a different colour variation. Reminds me of the gb prussian blue, looks almost similar to the cheap stamp.
Valued Member
Singapore
161 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add, there is a distinct error in the used one with the mouth missing from the face. You may have struck gold with this one, I am not sure but you need to research more.
Valued Member
Japan
36 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JPR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha. I should have known that the consensus wouldn't last long.

It makes sense to me that the red has faded out from some kind of exposure. That would account for the overall tanning/disoloration of the paper, too. Also, I can't find any reference to a color issue in either of the Japanese catalogs I've looked at.

Still, I won't throw it away just yet. ;)
Learn More...
5436 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   10:10 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are the odds of finding a previously unknown error stamp after 27 years? Virtually zero. But if you wanted to prove it to yourself simply get a mint stamp and place it in a southern facing window sill for month or two. As CP2018 mentioned, red inks can be quite fugitive. Occam's Razor - simplest solution tends to be the right one.
Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05