Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help with New South Wales 2d Sydney View  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
351 Posts
Posted 09/12/2018   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danko to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this one in the mix of some good oldies. From my understanding, every position on the sheet had design differences. Plus, it also had been extensively forged. There are just too many curve balls for me as a general WW collector to narrow it down to a specific SG number. Anyhow, I tried, and vaguely believe that it is SG #21. There are some, what looks like plate scratches as well. Would love to get some feedback.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5878 Posts
Posted 09/12/2018   9:21 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danko, you might want to ask staff to place this in the Australian threads. It is a pretty stamp, and you might get more answers from our Australian friends

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 09/12/2018   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, I didn't know we have one. I thought that US and Canada only have their own forums. Thank you Peter for advise. I'll try to get a hold of someone.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5878 Posts
Posted 09/12/2018   10:13 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danko, it is easy. Look on the bottom right hand on each post where it says "send note to staff". And please do not apologize - I am just trying to help you get more answers

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Beyond my knowledge.
Try here for examples
http://www.prestigephilately.com/ca...rtcode=haden
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
558 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Danko,

Unquestionably a forgery, most likely by Spiro. The stars in the corners and the 'cancellation' are the giveaways.

Hope this helps
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further reading for students.

Edited by rod222 - 09/13/2018 02:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
558 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further to danko's original post, yes each stamp was engraved on the plate individually. There are 2 plates of the 1d, 5 of the 2d (and retouches on pate 2) and only 1 plate of the 3d. The 1d and 3d are plates of 25 (5x5) and the 2d is a plate of 24 (2 rows of 12).

The Sydney Views are amongst the most famous of plateable stamps and were wildly popular way back in the day.

They're also notable for not having the name of the issuing entity on them!
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 09/14/2018   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dang it. Forgers 2 - danko 0.

Bobby, Rod thank you all very much.

This is the stamp I was basing my judgement on

from

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/V/v69319.cfm.

Rod do you have more of those position pages?

I would think those are invaluable resource in sorting through "Sidney Views"

I'll see if I can find some online.

Bobby:

You are right, cancels did look very suspicious. Also, paper looked off to me. It should be wove, I'm not an expert in paper, but it looks nothing like wove paper on early US stamps. It looks ... "fibery"?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
558 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi danko,

I can help with plating Sydney Views.

The one you showed from the Kelleher auction is position 2.

The tells that I used (and there will be others) are, in clockwise order, two dots in the star, the position of the dot in the star, the void areas at bottom left x2.

As for the paper, I quickly checked my literature and can't confirm this but I would imagine it was manufactured in Sydney. Charles Kay was the first supplier of paper (December 1849).

The January 1851 accounts include Charles Chapman (for colours & Materials supplied) and Dawson & Thompson ( for articles supplied) and in June 1851 from William Ford (2 accounts for paper supplied).

Over the various printings of the Sydney Views a variety of papers were used so the different suppliers probably give us a good clue as to why.

Comparing the paper on which primitive stamps from different countries/states/etc. are printed is unwise IMHO. There will be so many inconsistencies due to local manufacture.

Hope this helps and makes sense
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod do you have more of those position pages?

Danko,
I possibly do, but unable to locate at the moment, probably stored away in the mountain of boxes,
I have been looking for Australian Engravers for another member,
been through 2000 magazines, no luck so far.

UPDATE:
Looks like I scanned them (Before I became overwhelmed by material)

The Magazine is called "The Sydney Views" not to be confused with the stamps.
It looks like they just plopped stamp position randomly on each penultimate page.
So Danko, this is all I have (3 images from 3 magazines)

The motto is "Thus, Mighty Etruria grew"

Position 14

Edited by rod222 - 09/15/2018 03:46 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The story behind the Stamp.................

The Stamps, commonly known as the "Sydney Views", the design of which was based on the Great Seal of New South Wales.
The Great Seal of New South Wales was commissiond to Wedgewood, when they sent a great dollop of Clay back
from New South Wales, and asked him to design a seal in Clay.

Wedgewoods design included Industry, with all her attributes, a bale of merchandise, a beehive, a pick axe, and a
shovel, receiving (Freeing) convicts, at Sydney Cove, and oxen ploughing on the hillside of Sydney Cove.

The Motto Wedgewood used was "Sic Fortis Etruria Crevit" (Thus, mighty Etruria grew) ( a quote from Virgil
(Georgic11, V533) suggesting the similarity between how Sydney may grow as Rome.

The cute thing that makes me smile, is the connection with Wedgewood, his Pottery factory itself, was located in Etruria, Staffordshire England.
That is just so cool.

What a man, a prominent abolishionist, and a big thumbs up.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Author : Seven Seas Stamps Catalogue. Circa 1976

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
558 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 'Sydney Views' magazine is the quarterly journal of the Australian States Study Circle.

Abacus sold a complete run, 1980 to 2017, in their May auction:

https://www.prestigephilately.com/c...e=books&lim=

That was one time I was very unhappy to be an underbidder
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice Bobby,
I possibly would have gone to $100.
They are full of juicy information.
Still value at $190, I pay $5 -$8 for a singleton, if I like the contents.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24175 Posts
Posted 09/19/2018   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05