Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Home-made pages - has anyone thought of this before?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
496 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ringo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As regards making one's own album pages, I was wondering if anyone has thought of this idea/invention before.

Most printers will only handle standard paper, and album leaves won't go through.

So, you can't put home-made pages into, for example, multi-ring album binders or binders with non-standard mechanisms, because you can't punch the holes (generally speaking).

So this is my idea.

Manufacturers need to make adhesive strips which can be attached to the long side of the paper. These could be made in a wide range of styles, eg 22-ring, etc, to fit into all types of album binder.

Then, you can make your pages, print them, and house them in any style of binder you want, by attaching the right strips - and without plastic covers, if you don't want them.

Presumably they wouldn't be too expensive, as they are essentially just lengths of sticky paper.

Good idea?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
South Africa
112 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Idea but its been done see this link

http://www.3loffice.com/save-it/sel...ps-2?lang=en

I bought some many years ago.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
496 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, so someone has thought of it! OK, now it just needs someone to adapt the idea for stamp albums - paper rather than plastic strips, and holes to fit a range of stamp album binder types.
Edited by Ringo - 09/13/2018 1:38 pm
Valued Member
South Africa
112 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yea that would be great, maybe contact the company and put your idea to them, they might think it's worth their while,. Let me know if you do and how it turns out. Maybe get some sizing together to back up your proposal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1491 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   2:09 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Schaubek offer something similar. You print your own pages on stock matching their paper (A4) and insert in a plastic holder that fits their binders. It looks pretty good.

I don't understand why more publishers like Scott don't do this. I've suggested it to Amos and got a polite brush off. Possibly they may fear folks will print their own pages for use in their binders and not buy their Specialty albums.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are handy, why not just cut the strips yourself with craft knife and steel rule? Then, make a template to mark and punch uniform holes. And finally, use some white glue to affix the pages.

Self-adhesive tape is not a good choice for making paper joins that you expect to last for more than a few years.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/13/2018 3:32 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
496 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could probably do it yourself for simple mechanisms, like 3-ring or non-standard spacings of 4-ring - but what if you have a multi-ring binder you'd like to use? It would be near impossible. That's why I think they'd need to be made professionally.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point Ringo. If you know a printer with a paper drill, you could inquire about the price and feasibility of drilling a stack for multiple holes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just printed off a set of Machin pages. Its only 8 1/2 X 11 but they look nice and fit just right in my Vario "F" binders. This is a brand new venture for me.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
South Africa
112 Posts
Posted 09/14/2018   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this video the other day thought it might be of interest here punching 4 holes with a 2 hole punch

tXLC6y19pyA

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
907 Posts
Posted 09/14/2018   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Prinz compage system could be what you mean?
https://www.prinzverlag.de/blanko-s...page-system/

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4536 Posts
Posted 09/14/2018   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out of all of my 50+ albums, only one is pre-printed. I have been making my own albums pages for close to 30 years now.
I have always preferred my own versions over printed ones.
The only one that is pre-printed is the one of the Scott's Specialized series for German States and Colonies. I could not resist the price a just $10.00 in a used book store. The green binder with gold printing & pages. It was (is) almost, like new

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 09/14/2018 3:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 09/14/2018   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can eliminate hole punching by using a springback binder. The site search isn't finding it right now, but there are a couple of discussions on it in the forum archives. Your idea is extended a bit with those, where the highest quality pages made for them have linen backing at the inside edge of each page that is used like a (door) hinge that keeps pages flat. Those are now really expensive unless found used.

White glue: most people aren't good a applying a uniform very thin coat. Too wet, and everything will wrinkle up. Too thin a paper stock and everything will wrinkle. There are "extreme" glue sticks which would last longer than the usual, but I don't know how long-term that might be.
Stamp Smarter's 20th Century US Fancy Cancel database:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/feature...rn_Home.html
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/14/2018 5:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1702 Posts
Posted 09/14/2018   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point about the white glue hy-brasil. If a person uses a small, flat artist's bristle brush to spread the glue, an even film can be applied. A tiny bit of water added to the glue will help it to move better.

It is always best to experiment first if you are not completely familiar with glues and papers.

Always clean your brush with soap and water after use (sometimes the teacher in a person never leaves).
Valued Member
343 Posts
Posted 09/17/2018   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of these are work-arounds to try to get pages which are printable cheaply and easily to fit a ring binder. But is the result worth it? Will the glue hold for long? The adhesive these page additions use may not hold for many years. Could it damage the stamps in any way? Is the resulting album good looking? Do the pages look professional and high quality or cheap and home made? Give it some thought and experiment before you commit.

Maybe a different approach that produces high-quality pages without the use of stick-on holes and glue would be preferable? Especially if the album pages were larger sized. Wide-format printers can print pages onto standard album-sized pages. You can either buy such a printer or take your pages on a flash drive to a print shop and do it there using their wide-format printer.

Or you can take your new or old existing pages (pages no longer in print, for example) to a print shop and photocopy them onto all-blank (unbordered) pages and put those full-size pages into standard album binders. I've done this with many pages, and they look almost like the real thing.

You can also order the popular Steiner pages printed for you onto Minkus or Scott sized paper online. Search for "Album Pages". I've done that, too. I don't like the look of the Steiner pages nearly as much as I like the look of Scott, Lighthouse, and other pages, but sometimes they will just have to do.

Give various options some thought before you decide.
Edited by DrewM - 09/17/2018 10:31 pm
Valued Member
South Africa
112 Posts
Posted 09/18/2018   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perfin_RK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DrewM altough your stament might be on the mark on some aspects, there is some statifaction to making your own pages for us on a tight budget, making your own album pages are a way to display your stamps and custom made to suit your collection, have a look at this thread

http://goscf.com/t/56717

Some of the home made pages are in my opinion better than "Professional" pages
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05