Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Cover Post Marked on a Sunday?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   2:15 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add pascoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well don't I feel sheepish...

I've been looking across eBay for weeks for a cover postmarked on my actual day of birth. Coming up with not a single item.

I was born on a Sunday!!!

Is it impossible to find a cover PM'd under this condition?

Many thanks
Send note to Staff
Edited by pascoe - 09/13/2018 2:17 pm

Pillar Of The Community
1594 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not impossible to find Sunday cancels but much less common than the other days of the week. A browse through the Postal Law and Regulation volumes indicates that Sunday window hours seem to have disappeared in 1912, but the mail still moved on Sundays.

Likely sources:
Special Delivery mail.
RPO mail & Large cities handled mail all the time behind the scenes.
Many large cities have/had airport mail facilities with a public window that operated 24/7/365.
Stamp shows and other pictorial cancels at festivals, etc.

Part of the challenge is that mail sent during our lifetimes is generally too common and inexpensive to be a separate lot on eBay, nor do describers consistently list the year, let alone the postmark date, in lot descriptions. It took quite a while for me to find a cover from the day I was born (a Saturday).

Be sure to search for permutations of the date. For example if I were looking for Christmas day of 1950, I would search:
("December 25 1950", "Dec 25 1950 ", 25 December 1950", "25 Dec 1950", "12/25/1950", "12/25/50"). And for special delivery (and similar) covers I might even search for the day or two before hoping to find a transit or receiving mark.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5878 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   4:02 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you are very timid you can post your birth date here! You'd be surprised at ho much help you will get

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
891 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be happy you were not born on Christmas day or on a February 29th - those are pretty hard to find. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1801 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For additional confusion, there is question of which calendar a country was using. The Gregorian calendar was not accepted in some Eastern European countries until well into the 20th century. For Bulgaria (1916), Ottoman Turkey (1917) and Russia (1918) the old Julian calendar was't discarded until well into WWi.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
213 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Be happy you were not born on Christmas day or on a February 29th - those are pretty hard to find. :)

I just paid for a postcard on eBay that was written February 28, 1912 received the local postmark on February 29th and arrived at its destination March 2nd.

Unfortunately, the name of the local postmark is weak and partly overlapped by the destination's postmark. Still, I am happy I was paying attention.

-MV
Pillar Of The Community
1594 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Feb 29 is not a Federal holiday, only 4x scarcer than a typical day, so fairly easy to find except when it falls on a Sunday.
Sunday Feb 29, 1920 being the prime 20th century example for difficulty.
See my thread on Leap Day cancels I posted in 2016.

Follow-up on the Gregorian-Julian calendar transitions - I doubt the OP is more than 100 years old!
Pillar Of The Community
1594 Posts
Posted 10/08/2018   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless you are very timid you can post your birth date here! You'd be surprised at ho much help you will get

I was talking to a fellow collector at a recent show. He mentioned he had never found a cover postmarked on his exact birth date, November 15, 1944, a Thursday. There being plenty of WWII covers, I found one which is going in the mail to him today as a gift.
Edited by John Becker - 10/08/2018 05:38 am
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 10/08/2018   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker,
Nice of you to send the fellow collector a cover that he has been looking for.
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
Posted 10/08/2018   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any local stamp shows close to you with USPS participation.? They most assuredly will have a show cancel cover & if you mail a piece to yourself they would hand cancel upon request.?? Just a thought
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 10/08/2018   10:43 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update: I found a cover that commemorates the Hall of Fame induction of Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson, date stamped on the Sunday in question AND autographed by Hammerin' Hank himself!!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05