Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

10 Or 10A.... That Is The Question!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,340Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2752 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so I can date the cover around 1854-55 then?

Why would you assume those years?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't that the date that # 11 were used?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned earlier the stamps is an 11A. Scott specialized shows years of printing as 1853-1855. It could also be later.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks stallzer, that's how I came up with the date, its just so I know where to place it in my cover album,
Its a shame I don't know more about postmark or cancel, that may narrow it down a bit...
Cheers and thanks everyone for your assistance,
What I have so far is 11A circa 1854 onwards.
The colour still has me a bit baffled, I'll have to check out my specialized for variations in colour if its in there at all.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a "as described" 10A orange brown I recently picked up at an auction. Still need to verify the auction description is correct but you can see the difference between this one and yours.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its a lot sharper isn't it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2752 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stallzer, your stamp looks like plate position 9R2e or 2L if it's not Orange Brown.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2752 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 9R2e
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,340Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05