Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

General Question About Stamps I've Bought.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 728Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Tattedupmama35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey yall, I recently had quite the bidding war on an auction site for a few different lots of stamps. I didn't go through eBay or one of those sites, I went through CTAuctions based out of the Carolinas. My question is this; (I probably should have asked this before I bought them, but I had a good time bidding and kept getting more and more excited as the time counted down) I ended up paying around $46 for 3 different lots of stamps, 2 from the U.S. and the other from a few other countries. This Auction site seems to be Legitimate, but I'm worried I may be scammed as I was one other time on eBay a few years back. The pictures I'll attach are not great. But maybe they will help to answer this long question. I'll post more pictures when they are delivered to me as well. I apologize for the low quality pictures. I had to screenshot them off the site.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6901 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose your question was if these were worth the money? It is very hard to tell from the pictures, but they all look fairly common to me

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8371 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   1:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good start on a general collection. I would calculate 'value' based on your 'fun factor'; have you gotten enjoyment out of them equal to or exceeding the amount paid? I feel stamp collecting is like art, if you enjoy something it is fairly easy to determine the price you should pay. But if you are collecting for investment, it would be best to buy high quality stamps from a known, reputable dealer who can help you until you have enough knowledge to make your own investment decisions.
Don
Valued Member
Bulgaria
286 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrPhilaRooms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming the stamps in these lots are been predominantly issued from WWII onward, when you get them you should answer these two questions:

1. How many complete sets are there?
2. Are the complete sets in MNH condition?

The answers of these questions will give you comparative base to juxtapose with $46.
Edited by MrPhilaRooms - 09/23/2018 4:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the hobby. I was told by a long time collector years ago that money spent on stamps was his beer and cigarette money. When he passed twenty years or so ago his accumulation of stamps provided more money that a pile of empty cigarette packs and beer cans would have towards his care in his final days. And, to boot, he had years of fun assembling the collection. The true value of his collection was not a question of what others might have paid for his stamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
keep swimming! buy more!!
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tattedupmama35 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank yall for responding! I enjoy collecting so much. I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that my late grandfather and I used to collect stamps. The reason behind my question is not only the value (which really isnt as important as far as money goes, these will be my sons when I kick the bucket) but I had ordered some stamps a few years back from eBay (before I found out about yall! ) and when I got them, they were printed out on computer paper and sent to me with a hand written letter telling me I'd basically gotten screwed out of around $80. He got reported and all, I'm just a bit gun shy I suppose. Yall are so very nice and helpful. I appreciate everything! And when I finally get them, I'll be posting pictures! Yall have a blessed evening!
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 09/24/2018   02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For this type of material I would be searching under "stamp accumulations" world wide on eBay, and checking "completed items" to see what they did (or did not) go for. Looks to me as if there is a lot out there at very little cost.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05