Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recently Started Collecting WWI Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/24/2018   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BryanJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been collecting Militaria items for years and would frequently check eBay and I started seeing quite a few WWI postcards, which really caught my eye. There seems to be two basic types, those that are some sort of artwork, and those that were made from photos. I have now acquired maybe 20 or so cards, and a few minutes ago did a search to see if there was a forum for post card collectors and sure enough, here it is. So, hello and if anyone has any words of wisdom for a new post card collector who has developed an interest specifically in WWI cards, please let me know.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3600 Posts
Posted 09/24/2018   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postcards were a much bigger part of life before, during, and after WW1, so you might take a moment to think about whether your interests are directed specifically to WW2, or are directed to military life & events as captured on postcards.

For WW2, BOLO (Be On The Lookout) for POW cards, an expensive but evocative specialty, as well as related postal stationery items, such as V-mail.

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/victory...g/index.html ... article at Smithsonian National Postal Museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-mail ... article at Wikipedia

And don't forget to search this forum!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 09/24/2018   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But ikey, BryanJ didn't say anything about World War Two! ???

I don't particularly collect WWI postcards per se, though I've picked up a few that have caught my fancy, such as this one:

Words of wisdom? I don't know that I have much in that department. Real photo postcards generally have a higher demand and thus often have higher price tags, as well. Keep your eyes open for stamp shows, ephemera shows, and collectible paper shows in your area; they can be a good source, and you'll avoid having to pay for shipping. You may even find some great bargains: I bought the card above at the Vintage Paper Fair in San Francisco for only a dollar. Check out local antique shops, too.

Enjoy the hunt!
Edited by erilaz - 09/24/2018 11:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3600 Posts
Posted 09/24/2018   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... But ikey, BryanJ didn't say anything about World War Two! ??? ...

Yes, erilaz, but what he did say was:

Quote:
... I have been collecting Militaria items for years ...

... which sounds like a pretty generic interest, in which case WW1 is far more, well, target-rich environment for postcards than WW2.

Not to mention the quality. Many/most of the US military-theme cards were white-border-era cards with terrible color registration - the darned things can be painful to look at, regardless of subject - while WW1 cards included an ocean of real photo small unit group portraits, "I have arrived safely" AEF cards, BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) cards, etc.

There was a reason that they called it The Golden Age.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3982 Posts
Posted 09/25/2018   02:11 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! I started this thread a while ago, but rather lost heart -

http://goscf.com/t/59023&SearchTerm...,from,france
United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/25/2018   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BryanJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa. What a great collection, thanks for posting.

Yes, I have collected a few post cards from WWII and the Spanish American war, but there just seems to be so many more from the WWI era (not sure why)which is where/why my primary interest has drifted toward.

As soon as I have time to learn how to post photos, I'll post a few of the ones I've collected thus far. But it's fun searching the cards out on eBay, I'm usually paying on average $4-5 per card, maybe buying 4-5 per month, so not breaking the bank. But, the cards are a great snap shot in time about life during this period.

Thanks for the comments and advice!

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 04/09/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got quite a few, all Zeppelins
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05