Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Think These Are Worth Anything

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ireland2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across a four postcards someone has for sale. They want 5 grand, which to me is really hi for 4 postcards. Two have 1925. Postmark and the other 2 are 1927 postmarked. Here's picures that. I was we.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

$5000?

Are you kiddding?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6573 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they kidding? Or maybe they mean 5 dollars?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's $5,000. I asked them if that was right, and how did they get those numbers. They replied saying they have see them going for that.
I don't mind paying a fair price, but this one made me scratch my head. I know it's Craigslist, which is not any better the evilbay.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/...0274927.html

Just wanted to add that since joining, I have gained some knowledge that I didn't have the first time around. So a thanks to everyone for that.
Edited by Ireland2018 - 09/26/2018 12:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6573 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that is different! They are some of those rare 2 cent stamps. Well worth it. ( I am being very sarcastic now ireland2018 )

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
2298 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Run ... and run away fast.
$5 is indeed closer to retail and certainly not more than $10 with the rounded corners and set-off of the machine cancel onto the picture side.
These are mass-produced cards.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know your being sarcastic Peter. John, I jumped on a super sonic. Jet going full speed ahead to get away.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
925 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing something OFFERED for $5000 is vastly different than seeing something that has been SOLD for $5000.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4430 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   4:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you're lucky enough to find someone looking for the establishment pictured, cards are like this are oretty much unsellable on an individual basis, and will raise very little as part of a job lot. Can't comment on the rare 4th Bureau issues, of course! I did, however, sell 400 of the things for 99p at the weekend.
Pillar Of The Community
653 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The world is filled with people who claim they "saw them going for that," who tell you "they're not making any more of them, you know," and throw around the word "rare" all the damn time. I have something really rare. You'll never see it again as long as you live. It's one of my toenail clippings. It has my DNA. Can't be reproduced. It's worth an enormous amount of money due to its rareness.

Nothing is worth anything until someone gives it value. This idiot can ask for $5K for those very ordinary postcards until he's blue in the face. And guess what? He's never going to get that in a million years. Unless a complete sucker shows up. And that's what he's hoping for. The world of collectibles is filled with this sort of nonsense. Fortunately, most people come with actual brains in their head -- and so they can spot a scam pretty easily. I'd laugh in his face if he asked me to pay that. It's dishonest and just plain lousy to try to cheat people.
Edited by DrewM - 09/26/2018 8:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The way I look at it is that some product whatever it is, is only,worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm always on the look out for,things I can add into my collection. I have a lot of general bulk stamps in my collection. Once I'm all done soaking and placing in my albums, I'm going to specialize in just,a,couple areas.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
525 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really?? You can buy 5,000 post cards full retail for 5 grand, you probably can buy 25,000 post cards wholesale for 5 grand. I have seen post cards at the Phoenix first Sunday bourse for sale in dealers junk boxes at 5 for a dollar even 10 for a dollar, and they don't sell.
Edited by fredcdobbs - 09/26/2018 10:18 pm
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 09/27/2018   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's ridiculous ! I teach a class on identifying and valuing your antiques and collectibles. The first thing I tell my class is that something is only worth what someone will pay you for it. We then go on to finding comparable sales, but I also tell the class to take the sales figures with a grain of salt.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/06/2018   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryanhaught to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. *** I was only asking a lot because I've seen the same red stamps on eBay for$5k as a starting bid. *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***

Rules https://www.stampcommunity.org/rules.asp#rulesid12
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05