Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oleomargarine

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 7,656Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community

United States
522 Posts
Posted 11/12/2009   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ziggy9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How many of you folks are old enough to remember these...not me

thanks for looking
Richard
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2866 Posts
Posted 11/12/2009   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The diary lobby hated margarine and did everything they could to stop it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 11/12/2009   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember stories from my dad about selling margerine colored yellow would be considered false advertising so you would recieve a packet of yellow dye that you would have to mix in yourself
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
907 Posts
Posted 11/12/2009   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's true. In fact, in Canada, margarine was banned up until 1948, when the Supreme Court ruled that there should no longer be a ban in the Margarine Reference, a case we took in Constitutional Law.

For anyone interested, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine_Reference
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 03/06/2011   9:31 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why, WHY would anyone tax fake butter???
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 03/07/2011   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

from what t360 said, I would guess that the dairy lobby got the votes to tax margarine in an attempt to price them out of the market.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6409 Posts
Posted 03/07/2011   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A very famous man once said about Margarine "I trust Cows more than I trust Chemists "
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 03/07/2011   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think that famous "man" was actually Dr. Joan Dye Gussow, Professor Emeritus of Nutrition Education Program at Columbia University

KirkS
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2277 Posts
Posted 03/07/2011   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am pretty sure the canadian dispute with margarine was without it being colored it was fraudulently sold as real butter . I recall the stories of a 10lb bag of margerine with the yellow die and it had to be kneded throughout. I suppose it also could have been mistaken for lard which was so prominently used back in the day. Could have been pressure from the dairy board and crisco corp. I remember it tasted like s&*! when I was a kid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ran across one of the 1935 series.
Are these state revenue stamps?
This perfin is "4-1-ILL" and "8-23-48".
No idea why I bought it, just caught my eye.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   04:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom10 - This stamp is inscribed United States Internal Revenue, so it is a federal revenue stamp. The federal tax on oleomargarine ended June 30, 1950.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neils250 - The United States began taxing oleomargarine in 1886. Part of the reason for the tax was that both butter and oleomargarine were shipped in wooden firkins (barrels). Since oleomargarine was cheaper, there was an incentive for grocers to move oleomargarine into empty butter firkins and sell the oleo for the higher price of butter. If the grocer did and the container did not have the large oleomargarine tax stamp, the grocer would have been charged with evading the tax (the absence of the stamp being prima facie evidence that the tax had not been paid).

Yes, the dairy industry lobbied hard for this and 1902 succeeded in having the original 4 per pound tax changed to per pound for uncolored margarine (not a threat to the dairy interests) and 10 per pound for colored margarine (perceived as a threat because it looked like butter), in effect raising the price of colored margarine to the price of butter.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is mine a corner copy with horizontal and vertical cut lines or did the design change with another border? How many different ones were issued? Any idea of a catalog number?
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing those oleomargarine revenues is a first for me. Thanks for posting them! I do remember my mother giving me the transparent bag of white lard like stuff to color. There was an orange pill the size of a finger nail inside the bag which you would squeeze and once it popped you would knead the stuff until the whole mess was a nice, even yellow tint. Then she would slice the bag open and squeeze the mess into a butter dish and put it in the 'ice box'. Yes, we still had an ice box in the mid '40s. I think mom assigned me that chore to keep me busy for a while. Thanks for the memories!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hoxsie454 - I, too, remember kneading the clear bag once the bubble of dye was broken. And of course this was the industry's work around the 10 per pound colored oleomargarine tax. It was uncolored when you bought it!

The oleomargarine tax stamps were placed on cartons, the most common size being the 24 pound carton. There are some difficult sizes (as I recall the 48 pound stamp is tough. Notice that the 12 pound stamps illustrated in this thread is from the Series of 1931. The 24 pound stamp was added four years later and thus inscribed Series of 1935. The preceding series of 1926 comes in two different gauge rouletting, 3 and 7. All of the Series of 1926 are scarcer than the Series of 1935.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1732 Posts
Posted 12/23/2017   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 7,656Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05